Fridge

Fridge

Monday 13 April 2015

The Week and a Bit that was.

April 2nd (Easter Thursday) was Blake's first hockey training with his new team mates and opponents.  He'd been wary due the fact that he had a school sports day beforehand, but made it and did his best and did quite well.  He will account for himself well in this league, didn't embarass himself despite being one of the youngest, smallest and least experienced players out there.  

April 3rd (Good Friday) I went down the school in the late morning before my day was going to get busy.  I realised very quickly that Good Friday was not going to be the day to be shooting record scores.  In fact, my heart wasn't in it at all and for the first time ever I abandoned my shooting drills through lack of interest.  Instead, I just lazily skated around the court for about twenty minutes of low intensity half hearted drills.  Then I skated home.

As a side note, we had two groups of visitors, afternoon and evening.  In the afternoon I met Vic, a Canadian who had (of course) once played hockey.  In the evening I met Neil, who had played ice hockey some time in the eighties in Adelaide.  First time ever I met these guys, first time ever I've met two people in one day who have a hockey history independent of mine.

April 4th (Easter Saturday), I confirmed my willingness to play inline hockey at Gawler in the winter season.  On the assumption I'll play 2nd Division again, I opted to stick with the Wheelers as first preference but stated could change teams, divisions, days available (eg can play either Saturday or Sunday) to suit the coordinator's needs.

I also got confirmation that will be in the first Noarlunga Shinny of the off season, two weeks later.  There are more skaters than spots available for these shows, is great to be in at the start.  I won't be attending them too frequently, but it is really nice to know that I'm able to play with this group of comrades.  It will be fun to play and compare tales of our respective seasons and experiences.

April 5th (Easter), take a friend (Steve) to watch the C Grade All Stars game at the Ice Arena.  It was his first ever game and he enjoyed it more than he thought he would.  He ended up watching the whole of what turned out to be a good competitive game.

April 8, I walked around with a grin for the rest of the day once I learned that Edmonton had beat the LA Kings 4-2, making things very tough for LA to get into the playoffs (they subsequently failed to do so).  I was too tired after a busy day at work to go skating that night, so for the second Wednesday in a row didn't go to the Ice Arena.

April 11, Go skating down the school in the morning and put a couple hundred shots on target.  Interspersed with about eight drills of limited duration involving puck carrying and handling.  Didn't push it hard either at the school or on the hill climb home due the fact that I hadn't skated for over a week and was a little light on hydration.  For my efforts, scored a record 35% shooting rate for the first hundred shots!

7/10/12/6, 8/8/6/3 (30%)

So, despite very little skating, not a bad week and a bit.  I have had a good rest.  Perhaps as a result, have noticed my knee is almost back to full mobility - there is no discomfort or pain produced in any of the postures and angles that previously did so.  Just in time for the commencement of my off season campaign.

Inline 25 and 26

No comments:

Post a Comment