Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 15 February 2015

Game Day - Rangers (2) d Knights (1)

Just a short post, I'll fill it out later in the week as I expect will be getting some video of the game in the next day or two.

For a change, played the early game tonight at the Ice Arena.  We were beaten by the Rangers, the winning goal being scored within the final two minutes.  We managed to pick up another four or so penalties through the game, they picked up one.  I was on the ice for their first period goal and our power play reply in the second.  As for our goal, I was back in 'overwatch' and performed in an inactive role for the play from which we scored.

Their first first goal was a repeat of a number of goals against which I have been on the ice for this season (ie. shooter in high slot, me caught roughly in the shooting lane between them and goal, a good shot going by between waist and chest height no more than an arm's length from me, who lets it go without trying to block for fear of screening the goalie.  Perhaps a better idea of where exactly the goals are would help?).

I was on the ice probably a bit less than twenty five minutes, pulling less than my weight as I gave a few extra minutes to Tom (him being the better player by far and this being his final game with us this season).  Considering that I'd spent about twenty minutes on the rink the night before, I am doing reasonably well in terms of condition at this point of the summer/season.  Of course, the third period requires one to 'dig in' a bit, and that's the thing I need to remain vigilant about.  Remember, at C grade level the clock keeps running through stoppages (except in final two minutes of the game), so twenty minutes probably equals fifteen.  But it's still not necessarily easy time, as I increasingly try and keep my feet moving at all times (and at getting closer and closer to being able to do so).

There was one majorly chaotic play that I was involved in.  During the first period they had one point where the puck was being shot in from the corner or behind the net, relays of their forwards swooping towards the crease, too many bodies in front of the crease, Tommy on his knees somehow managing to pad it out several times from different directions, the puck ricocheting off of flashing sticks and feet, and at least twice the puck flying across an open portion of the goal with inches to spare before somehow leaking out of the press and into the corner.  Phew!

I didn't badly screw up any plays that I recall.  My only defensive zone pass across the centre was when I gathered the puck in the corner and carried it until I was half way up the defensive zone boards before passing it tape to tape to our winger on the opposing point.  I passed to a centre player a number of times, generally they were skating up through the neutral zone at speed as I did so.  I was definitely outpaced several times, though only once comprehensively beaten (Ben skating down the flank in the third).  Otherwise I generally made just sufficient nuisance of myself against their speedsters to prevent any nasty surprises for Tommy in goal.

Random examples of my general duties included clearing the front of the net a couple times, skating behind the posts for a breakout maneuver (thrice), tying them up in the corner (twice), stealing the puck off a stick, pinched into the offensive zone to save the play.  I played big minutes in a couple of our Penalty Kills, and was on for our power play goal.  Deflected at least two, possibly three shots on goal harmlessly into the boards.  Got beat after a board clash at centre ice when I lost my feet and he didn't, after which he pretty effortlessly brushed past me with a combination of strength (having watched him before from stands, a bit taller than me but a lot more thickset and with quite a junkyard (but legal) approach) and opportunism (he got moving before me).  Basically, played a good utility defence role.

I didn't have the puck bounce over or slide under my blade, didn't have them chip it past me on the blue.  Overall, happy with my game, though it wasn't a blinder.

My skates performed well enough with their newly sharpened blades (I think I only lost my footing once), though I am not skating up to my ability in them yet I feel.

My team played a pretty decent game all round.  It did seem as though the puck generally if not always bounced against us when it was a close call.  We had more shots than in past, but don't seem to control the front of their net for the key moments.

That's the end of our playoff contention.  With only two more games to go for us (and the bye) the season really is one for development now.  Especially as Tom is off and won't be back till next season, and we won't be seeing Henry back either.

Still, looking forward to the games, and then a few weeks off before getting into gear with off season training and some shinnies!

GP 15 G 0 A 0 Pts 0 -11 6/8/1

Ice 14

No comments:

Post a Comment