Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 15 February 2015

Game Day - Wheelers (4) t Bumpers (4)

We played the Bumpers in the final Div II game at Gawler last night.  It was under heatwave conditions, with the temperature only dipping below 40'C about a half hour before we started.  Accordingly, the game was played under recently revised heat rules, namely 3 x 12 min periods with 2 minutes between each.  Luckily, both teams had a six person bench (we had our full roster, they had one reserve).  We had Jye in goal this week (Div I player having a go as a tyro goalie), they had Matt the Goalie (ditto, except he was our goalie last year).

Astute readers might be wondering if we played Tasha with a broken wrist from the week before.  No, we didn't.  After four hours waiting in emergency and several doctor visits she played with a strapped wrist and a provisional opinion that it wasn't broken, 'merely' sprained.  It was still hurting though!  I also played with strapping, on my knee as I do for all games since September.

I'd picked up my Vapor skates earlier in the day from the skate shop where I'd left them on Wednesday night for a little TLC.  The front two wheel nuts on each had been drilled out and replaced by new ones (necessary, after I'd badly burred them a couple weeks ago).  The skates were very functional, though seemed to have picked up a new 'clicking' sound on each stride.  No complaints though, and maybe I'll get some new bearings today.

The game itself was as tight and tough as the scoreline suggests and as we'd all expected.  Although winless at the bottom of the ladder the Bumpers outshot us 27-18.  Despite the odd whinge and whine (which I'll put down to heat more than bad sportsmanship) the game flowed well and only one penalty was called (when I drew an interference on Mal at the start of the final period for instinctively shoving from behind when I swooped in front of him for the puck - the third similar incident I've experienced in the last four games of (both forms) of hockey but the first that was called).

Krystal played out of her skin in the first two periods, though was becoming a bit distracted and tired by the last.  Tasha played her usual game of efficient defence, they always underestimate her on her stature and skating ability and forget her stubborn ability to keep her feet and compete with an active and accurate stick.  Brendan had a solid game, earning a much deserved two points for a goal and an assist.  Rick was suffering from the heat, still managing a couple goals and looking dangerous in combination particularly with myself throughout.  Jye in my opinion spent too much time clowning around with his sideline mates, causing me to ask one of our players on the bench to tone down his language when he had a go at the fellow when the game was tight in the third.

In my opinion, the star for our team was Merrilyn.  Not only did she set up the opening goal by Tasha, but her defence and threatening play on the wings was as determined and intelligent as I've yet seen it.  Most memorable was in the second when she got involved in a puck battle on the defensive corner and had her stick ripped from her hands but stayed in the battle with her feet and body positioning against two and then three of their players, eventually kicking it to a team mate before coming off from a tiring shift.  Utter determination and great eye/hand coordination.

Tasha and Rick scored the opening goals about half way through the first (assists by Merilyn and Brenton respectively) but they equalised by the first break.  The second period was much more dour, with them drawing ahead at the half way point after a long scramble in front of our net when I don't think Jye ever saw the puck as it lay in front of him.  I drew the penalty on Mal inside two minutes into the final period, and then combined with Brenton on the powerplay to give him a nice goal to tie the game up again (he did really well to hold his feet in the slot while I battled in the corner for a passing lane to open up to him).  They started to get very excited with about three minutes to go when they again took the lead, but Krystal on an extra long shift managed to skate it down the boards and pass to a lurking Rick who made sure of his shot and tying the game with only seconds left.

Of interest was that twice in the game (both in the first half, from memory) there was a major scramble in front of our net.  On the first, Jai was standing on the goal line and looking around at the surface and a mad scramble of sticks and a few feet (four of us) scrambling around the elusive puck before it was jammed out into the corner.  On the second, it went in.

My own game was relatively good, though I only had maybe a couple of my six shots actually be on goal.  Rick and I kept getting very close to combining dangerously on the break, we'll get better with better communication.  He has a wicked snap pass/shot and I can find the space, so if this starts working we'll do very well.  I spent much of my game in defence role again, blocking at least three shots and several times disrupting their shooting forward.  No major crashes or battles for me, though, as I was probably the quickest skater on the night.  My one point for the assist has me tied on the scoring ladder for most assists in the division, and keeps me in fifth spot for total points.

I was on the rink for three of our goals and two of theirs.

A fun game, physical but no bad blood.

Inline 6

No comments:

Post a Comment