Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 9 December 2014

Game Day - Predators (2) d Knights (0)

We got shut out in our game against the Predators, the same score as in our first game against them a few weeks ago.  We had nine skaters, they had eleven.  We ran three D and two lines.  Our first line had Foxy and Andy on the wings with Baden in Centre.  Our second line was Dan and Lachy winging for Christian.  Me, Michael and Tom were in D, Tom carrying a bit of an injury and a little more restrained than usual.  Tommy put in a solid game in goals.

Their two goals both happened in the second period.  I was on the ice for both of them, and not too far from the goal.  I think I was stranded in the corner as their sharp skater cut through and around about three of us.  I was struggling to get to her when the shot was unleashed on an undefended goalie and it was 0-1.  For the second goal, I feel as though I was there on my own with three of their players way too close to our goal.  I snarled one up, the shot drifted under our goalie, I was paralysed with indecision about what to do, and one of them reached in and tapped the puck over the line.  I don't hold myself responsible for either goal, but I could have done better both times.

Another bad luck aspect of my game was three times in the final period when I was trying to defend the offensive blue line, keeping my stick on the ice to stop the puck ripping along or near the boards, and three times it bouncing over my attempt to stop it and giving them a chance for a breakout.  That's a bit of bad luck, and not putting my arse on the boards.

Positives were evident also.  I was more active in harassing and shifting them out from the goal front, and even from the central slot zone.  Banked clearances that didn't quite get iced (twice).  Stick checking in the neutral zone.  Pinching once into offence to gain the puck ahead of their breaking centre and launch it into the scrum before goal.  Passes in congested zones that cleared the offensive zone and found either clear ice or a team mate.  And my favourite, defending one of their star skaters as she burst down the wing, chipping and sticking and interfering just enough to force her behind the goals instead of into the slot.  She actually came to me after the game and thanked me for a good game.

Ya gotta love hockey.

GP 8 G 0 A 0 Pts 0 +/-0 4/3/1

No comments:

Post a Comment