Fridge

Fridge

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Foretaste of Ashes

You might remember that a week and a half ago I managed to drag my way through a tryout session with fifty other wannabes on a Sunday Night.  The aim was to try out for a proposed C Grade 'Premium' winter league.  At the end of the evening I put myself somewhere just below the cut-off for those that would be selected, but acknowledged that I have a bit of potential that at least leaves me in the mix.  I thought then that the experience itself was worth it, and I still think so.  The last point is worth repeating, I think the experience was worth it in itself.

I say this because tonight is the night that marks the 'official' status of the proposed league.  I understand there has a been a long political boardroom fight at peak committee level for the sport in the state, and that tonight the numbers came down in favour of having a C Grade winter comp.  The brash persistence of the C Grade Brigade seemed to have won the day (night).

And, going with the energy no doubt culminating (from the Board's perspective) in a vote, the coaches have immediately moved into horse trading conclave mode and apparently there will shortly be announced the team lists.  The first game is scheduled for Sunday.  For those who know already that they will make the cut, very exciting.  For those of us still waiting (with some hope, no matter how distant and small), there is a sense of anticipation mixed with dread.

Or, at least, there should be.

Sadly, when releasing the news that there will be a league and that coaches are meeting and teams are selected and will soon be posted, there was also a semi-apology for the process.  Not strictly a draft as had been originally intended as a selection - a mixture of draft, trade, pass, suggest and discuss, with the aim to make the teams fairly equivalent and the competition a strong feeder to the higher grades.  That's perhaps what was meant, and that's definitely what they should have said.

Bu they didn't.  No, sadly, went on to explain the sorts of criteria that seem to have driven the process in terms of individuals selected.  Amongst which, buried amongst more rationally defensible criteria, "generally younger players had priority."  Which sounds to me like doublespeak for 'no one wanted you if you were old unless you are really really good.'  Which was kinda disappointing, though the word 'generally' offers some mitigation I guess.

Still, the disappointment takes on the flavour of ashes in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment