Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 20 September 2015

Off Season Day 81 - Week 11

Sep 13 Rest
Sep 14 Rest
Sep 15 Stickhandling, Run
Sep 16 Arms, Vikings Training
Sep 17 Run
Sep 18 Ice (sprints)
Sep 19 Wheelers Game 

September 13 and 14 were rest days.  Significantly warmer than we've had for months.  On the 14th I was at the Ice Arena to watch the final period of the Bantams Grand Final before returning a Peewee jersey and then again in the evening to watch the opening game of the C grade season between the Kings and the Predators.

On September 15 I spent almost twenty minutes in the morning doing some stickhandling practice.  Around midday I went for a run - 22 min, 55% in or above Zone 3, Avg HR 139, Max HR 169.  It is interesting that I was 3 minutes quicker than the previous run, despite having 7 walking periods this time (was 4 last time).  Again, I returned to running from walking mode as soon as HR dropped to 120.  I was using my breathing as the guide to when I thought I was getting close to 120, and then looked at the wrist unit of my loaned HR monitor to fine tune the time of commencement of my running.  which I was generally able to .  I was feeling it in the calf muscles more severely than the other day, I suspect because I haven't been eating as much as I should have the last few days.

On September 16 I started the day with a change up in the Arms routine.  I have now dropped the weight on the 'heavy' lifts to 4kg (plus 1kg for the bar) per dumb bell, and 2kg plus bar for the 'light' lifts, increased the number of reps to 15 per set and dropped recovery time between sets to 30 seconds.  I did two circuits.  Emphasis now has changed almost entirely to muscle endurance and power (previous weeks emphasised muscle building).  All done in less than 20 minutes.

In the evening I went to Gawler for Vikings Training.  I wore the heartrate monitor.  Sadly, wiped the data not long after seeing it, but memory serves to say that I had 66 minutes of data, about 3% of time below Z1 and over 60% of time in or above Z3, Max HR 197(!) and Avg was 148.  I put a lot of effort into the session, but recovered reasonably well when required and was still strong at the end (though the fading point wasn't far away).  The monitor said I burned over 800 calories.

Drills included variants of 1 on 1 race/battle/shoot from prone, the game of building numbers from 1 on 1 to potentially 1 on 4, one with one passing/protection game, 4 on 4 shinny and red rover.  A dozen skaters and one goalie.  I got given some good advice about keeping my stick in front of me rather than to a side when protecting a puck from an opponent behind me.

On September 17 I went for a run in the late morning.  Ran in spurts that took HR out to 155-165 then walked until dropped back to low 120s before running again.  Recovery HR dropped about 20 per minute, fairly consistent.  22 min, 15 min (65%) Z 2&3, Avg 138, Max 166.

On September 18 I made up for getting too late to training the night before by getting the rink in the morning 7of an already busy day and putting in a half hour of drills, including a run of 5 line sprints with 2 min recovery periods.  Probably 60 stops and pivots and half that of undercut takeoffs.  Time 30 mins, 45% Z2, 5% Z3, avg HR 134, max HR 163.

On September 19 I took it easy until playing in the Vikings Div II Grand Final for the Wheelers (we lost 7-3).  We kept to our line changes generally speaking, I double shifted only maybe twice (to take advantage of a Power Play and to work on the Penalty Kill).  I didn't have a HR monitor on (I forgot to bring it) but was pulling my breathing down to the 120 level within the minute during each recovery period, had energy to spare for the needs of each shift, didn't hold back on pushing myself to the limit when required.

On fitness and conditioning scales, in other words, I have reached the pass mark.  In terms of speed, I wasn't particularly aware of any failing.  Similarly with strength battles, whether on the boards or over a puck (including against a significantly larger stronger opponent).  Coped with knockdowns and slashing incidents well.  Overall, I am happy with my level of preparation for the ice season.

Week 11 in summary: am starting to scale back on strength, aerobic and, in effect, agility training, increasing the proportion of time devoted to on-ice activity and anaerobic conditioning in particular.  I failed to perform agility or speed exercises, so this will have to be commenced within Week 12 and I'll have to work on it during the early part of the season.  Overall for Week 11, a yellow grade.

Inline 54 & 55
Ice 36
 

No comments:

Post a Comment