Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 12 September 2015

Off Season Day 74 - Week 10

Sep  6 Rest
Sep  7 Stickhandling
Sep  8 Stickhandling, Ice (sprints)
Sep  9 Arms, Legs, Stickhandling
Sep 10 Rest
Sep 11 Ice (Sprints)
Sep 12 Stickhandling, Arms, Run

On September 6 I had another rest day.  The previous two days had wiped me out.  This almost continued through September 7, saved only by 15 minutes of stickhandling late in the evening after another busy day.  Of hockey interest amongst the day's business was the fact that I came into possession of a heart rate monitor for use in training and attended registration/orientation for the upcoming C Grade season.

In the morning of September 8 I had another 15 minute stickhandling session, then went down the Ice Arena in the afternoon.  I was down there for an hour and a half, but spent much of the time chatting with Rick (a fellow Viking who will be playing with the Blades in C Grade) as he got some new skates.  I again drilled myself based upon Corey's class from the week before.  I conducted four line sprints up the ice with two minute intervals between each thirty second sprint.  I wore the HR monitor at the Arena.  My peak HR was 167.  Getting to know the equipment.

On September 9 I did strength circuits for arms and legs and fifteen minutes of stickhandling.  Peak HR for arms circuit was 148, peak for legs was 137.  Both were completed within 30 minutes.

September 10 was a rest day.

On September 11 I went to the Arena for a concentrated 40 minute session.  Only had half the ice to work with as the other half was in use for hockey training (Ice Factor schools program).  For my sprints I went from Red to Blue lines and vica versa.  Six lengths were under 30 seconds, so I did seven (between 35s and 40s).  I did five of these sprint circuits, two minute recovery periods.  Spent approximately equal time for the remainder of the period on leg recovery and extensions during stride (forwards and backwards), transitions, pivots, stops, tight turns, cross unders and backwards first steps.  Peak HR was 173, avg was 133, 39% of time was spent in 'zone 3' of HR and 11% was above.  Despite the higher intensity and density of the session I felt less exhausted afterwards than I have previously, so I guess it is having a conditioning effect.

On 12 September I started the day early with 15 minutes of stickhandling, shortly afterwards followed by a short (10 minutes) arms session.  For the weights my heartrate averaged 111, maxed at 134, 1m30s in Zone 2.  In the dusk I ran my old run - 25 minutes, 50% in Zone 3 or above (5%), average HR of 135, maxed at 161.  Easing back into it as it's been 2 weeks since I last went running.  Ran it easy, with four walks.  During each walk I waited till breathing had returned to close to normal before setting off again (HR was between 116 and 123 when I felt comfortable with the breathing).

Week 10 summary: a yellow rating for this week, managed to pull it together due to my visits to the Ice Arena (with interval training) and run this afternoon.  I didn't, sadly, get in any agility training, downgrading what would otherwise have been a green rating.  The two big things that have happened were the confirmation that I am a Knight on Registration night and coming into possession of a heart rate monitor loaned me by Jess.  

The Knights have a bye in the first week of the season, playing our first game on September 24.  Which is almost two more weeks of preparation than I'd most recently thought would be the case.  Have added two weeks to the sidebar off season schedule.

Ice 34 & 35

No comments:

Post a Comment