Fridge

Fridge

Friday 14 August 2015

Game Day - Bumpers (11) d Shufflers (2)

I played a second game of Hockey on Saturday night, as a Reserve filling in a fourth spot on the Bumper's lineup.  I replaced Jana, who was at the Adrenaline game at the Ice Arena.  I'm told we play a fairly similar game and that made me the natural choice.  Brenton and Merrily were playing in opposition as reserves on the Shuffler's team, and Nicole was  in goal for them, so it was interesting to play against my team mates and see what they look like from the other side of the hill.

I took it relatively easy during the game, giving as much hockey time to the other three as I thought they could handle.  They were all hot and bothered at the end of the game, I was pretty cool by comparison.  Despite the cool, I did my best when on the ice to grab or keep control of the puck and shut them out of the game.

The game was a blowout at 11-2 of which I contributed 2 goals myself, both assisted.  I can't remember the first of them, but do recall the second.  I grabbed the puck in the corner and walked it in towards the goal, then danced across the goal face just out of reach of the goalie who was in a bind between trying to take the puck and fill his goal.  I was in a sense playing games with him, waiting my moment, which I seized when I had the chance.  I hit the pipes twice.

As for team tactics, they were pretty straight forward.  Craig hovered around the midzone, provided a good reset pass option and he was constantly calling for it.  All of his shots were from this outside zone.  Mel, on the other hand, deked and dangled her way in from the flanks, tended to score in close.  Kylie also scored in close, but came down the centre.  Handy to recall for next week.

As is the fact that Merrilyn and Brenton are not easy players to play against, their checking is very close but not too close and they skate faster than they look.  Another thing I learned in this game, as they were on the opposing team albeit I didn't clash against them too often.

A worthwhile experience, second reserve game for me this season.  It was also a handy recce on the Bumpers, our opponents probably for three of the next four games.

Inline 48

No comments:

Post a Comment