Fridge

Fridge

Monday 2 March 2015

Game Day - Kings (4) d Knights (1)

Last night was the penultimate game of the Knights' 14/15 regular season.  We couldn't make the playoffs.  The Kings are in a scrap with the Sharks for third spot.  They had the highest scoring player in the Division (he cut us apart on our last game).  We didn't have Andy, but Henry, Tom and Beau were there so we fielded ten skaters (there were eleven Kings).  We had Shannon in goal (Tommy being at the Clipsal for his first ever time).  We were 1-1 in our previous two engagements.  Was always going to be interesting. 

When I was driving to the Arena I thought that me and Mike were going to be the defensive corps, with Jonesy or Christian to make three.  It was a pleasant surprise to learn that Tom was coming and that Jonesy would make four.  We mixed it up a bit across our lines as the game progressed, but this wasn't too much of a problem as I saw myself as the fourth defender and thus built my presence around my partner's absence (that will make sense to all the defenders out there).

We spent most of the first period in their zone, scoring the only goal of the period when Henry marked his return to the team by slotting it after about ten minutes.  We outshot them ten to three.  I wonder if this wasn't a reaction to my reminder to the team before we started that this team had got the jump on us last game, that we'd proven we were equal to them in the last period but by then it was too late?  In any event, we were dominating in almost all aspects of the game at the first break.  I spent over eight minutes on the ice and was present for our goal.

The second period was marred by a reversal on the shot clock (11-3), a penalty against tom (cross checking), a gimme goal to them five minutes in (a couple of plays after Shannon had appeared to faint) and a power play goal six minutes later.  The comment on the bench I heard several times was that it was like we had switched ourselves 'off', or had fallen asleep.  I was on the ice for their first goal, and was on for probably another eight minutes (including most of the penalty kill, they scored after I had got off).

The final period was reminiscent of the second, though we were perhaps a bit more resolute.  They outshot us again, 10-6.  They scored at about the seven minute mark, and then again on an empty net in the closing minute.  I probably played only six minutes this period and was on for their third goal.

*

My game was the best I've played in D so far.  Odd to say, considering the scoreline, but I suspect it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't been so active.  I blocked at least four shots, three of these being in one long shift in the second, and deflected another three with my stick in the final period.  I covered an empty net on one occasion, swatted the puck out from a goal front melee on another (chasing it into the corner and winning it in a battle before passing it to my supporting winger and following up ice to their blue line).  Had a great extended battle in our left corner against a larger opponent in the dying minutes, moved from that battle to another immediately afterwards before hussling the puck on its way.  I kept the puck in their zone several occasions in the first and second, only iced it once (in the first).  I made several good clearing passes, collected the puck off the end boards and skated it around to the offside before passing it up twice (third), cut out their breaking forwards through the centre several times, cut off passes in our zone and pushed it up if not out across the blue line at least three times.

Unusually for me, I also kicked the puck out of a scrap at least twice.  I didn't lose my feet at all, felt no foot pain during or after the game (yay, skates finally broken in!).  I was outskated only when at a disadvantage, and managed to hold them out of the centre throughout.  I managed to pass it across our net again, though again it was a deliberate move (I was alone on the end board, with Kings coming at my from left, right and up ice, with another in front of the net and the fifth out of the play, so I adjudged it safe to pass it to a swooping left winger).  The one time I was properly beaten was when puck was on board and raced their star for it.  He took possession as I extended my stick to the board further up.  He just brushed past it as he powered on (though our body contact took enough speed out of him as he pushed through that our centre was able to make up distance and stop him swooping forward).

One more game to go, against the Sharks next Sunday.  The pressure is definitely off and we'll be playing more for the helluvit than anything more serious.  We'll be chopping and changing a bit, I've already arranged to swap positions for a period with one of our wingers.  Should be fun.

GP 16 G 0 A 0 -12 6/9/1

Ice 18

No comments:

Post a Comment