Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 18 November 2014

Knights' Training

 Tonight was a combined training with our coach's two C Grade teams, the Knights from Div II and the Bombers from Div I.  Justine was assisted by Justin (!), a self confessed one time 'enforcer' in A Grade but a good honest hockey player at that, and who has a lot of hockey experience to share.  There wasn't a huge amount of talk talk, it was mainly go go.  Nine Knights showed up.  Skills and role based, beginning with the basics, I found it a very good session.

Big horsehoe, rushing pairs (with and without a defender), a shooting tutorial, backwards blind passing (ie communication!), breakouts of five v 2D.  A good use of an hour.

I particularly enjoyed the times I got to play in the defence role.  Having found myself playing the position this season I have been on a fairly steep learning curve in a positional/skills sense but have had little opportunity except games during which to put it into practice.  A half hour of repeated drills where I got to practice maintaining the gap, active stick, clearing or holding the blue line, covering the pass, watching the chest, clearing the crease and holding the corners, passing up the ice, working with my partner, was excellent!

I'll aim at putting into practice when we play the Flyers on Sunday.

I am still to post a Game Day report about the Knights 3-4 loss to the Sharks on Sunday.  I'm just too busy.  At least I have some video of the game so it's not just a fading blurring memory that I will be relying upon when I come to write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment