Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 9 October 2014

Zen Training Session

Tonight I went down the Arena to be a spectator at Knights' training session on the small ice.  I'm not playing this coming Saturday, avoiding the ice until the middle of next week at earliest, so anything that I can do to keep me as close to primed as possible during this enforced layoff (due my knee injury) is a welcome opportunity.  I think the guys appreciated my effort to remain involved also.  Team building.

Justine put them through their paces.  First, edge work and puck protection for about fifteen minutes.  Then, point to point passing in the star with a shot to follow.  Then the defence one on one circuit.  Final standard exercise, 2 on 1 with D in crease front battle with O2 while O1 comes in for a shot/pass.  Final few minutes, a game of british bulldog.

Watching it all I was able to observe closely, comparing and contrasting the varied skills and abilities of my team mates.  I'm not up there with our centres or star D's yet, but can get there.  Watching some of another team that were with us, recognising them from Noarlunga shinnies through winter, I was able to rank myself on their play also.  I must say, I think that I've come a long way and, with some development time now (soon), have a good set of core skills on which to build..  My skating certainly is my strongest feature, but the stick handling is reasonable also.  With recent improvements in strength, quickness and agility I could become a good C Grade player with more experience and game sense.  That will come with time.  A worthwhile insight to inspire me through my recovery, and well worth the investment of time to go Zen Training.

Injury Update:  I am more optimistic about things as the swelling in the muscles connecting through to the knee decreases and movement returns.  Still have tenderness and some residual swelling (around the muscles that I thought had absorbed much of the shock, not the ones I was most worried about), especially as movement increases and various muscle groups are recruited after days immobile, the temptation will be to return to full activity.  I must remain honest with myself in my assessments and be patient and thorough with the return program.  If I do this I'll be thankful in the long run.

Off ice: Tuesday, an upper body twin circuit, sped up and now only nine reps.  Wednesday, a 'cut back' core workout in the morning (using only those routines that didn't put any pressure on the knee) and twin upper body circuits in the evening.  Tonight, cut back core workout.

The cut back core program drops side planks and straight leg raises, goes easy on the other drills that involve the right knee (eg quadraped) to ensure that no stresses are being applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment