Fridge

Fridge

Monday 6 October 2014

More on the knee, and on last night

My right knee has been weird today.  No real pain, a couple moments of major muscular discomfort, regular ice packs, limited movement.  I checked it out on Dr Google and I reckon I've got a Level I Posterior Cruciant Ligament strain.  Not good, but could be worse.  Depending on the detail it will take anywhere from 2 weeks (!) to 6 months before I could be clear to play or know that I'll be out for a long time.

Last night in the post game one of my team mates gave me his view of what he said happened to me.  I took it with a grain of salt, these things being what they are.  But today I was told pretty much the same story by Craig, who'd seen things from the stands.  These are the only two eye witnesses I've spoken to about it.  And they both describe essentially the same thing. So I'll give it credence as it matches what limited memory I myself have of the incident.

What I'm told is that I was tripped, and that the malefactor then jumped/fell on me.  That's hockey, so no bad karma, but it does suck that it was a foul that did for me.  No wonder my nemesis was a bit stressed at the end of the game, he felt guilty.  As he should.  *sigh*

For treatment, everything else must go on hold.  At the moment, keeping the swelling down and resting the joint (ice, arnica, anti-inflammatories).  Once the swelling is gone, straight into some simple exercises to maintain as much as possible of quad and hamstring condition.  This appears to be the limiting factor on time taken before returning to the ice and, ultimately, playing again.

After about two weeks the joint should be able to cope with the simple exercises required to start rebuilding it strength.  From there on one's body is the governor with regard to how much and what type of work can be done towards rehabilitation.

It's a bugger, but a challenge.  That's hockey.

*

Speaking to Jess and Craig about their view from the stands last night, and of Wayne yesterday, it seems that we played okay.  Our first period was pretty disorganised, our stronger skating held us in good stead as the game went on, I remained out of the play too much when the puck was in our O zone, they played a lot rougher than we did.  No great surprise in any of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment