Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 13 September 2014

Stepping it up - shooting, blast and the power

Today I seemed to have stepped up the intensity of pre season build up.  Started with an inline skate to the school, gone about 70 minutes.  Realised I'm way out of condition by the time I'd finished gliding down the first hill.  I reversed the usual order of my session, starting with simple skating and some puck carrying and finishing with the usual 100 shots.

I didn't concentrate quite so much on elements of technique in the shooting.  Instead, aimed at quickness.  Thus, lined up the pucks and shot them as rapidly as could comfortably do (moving from puck to puck rather than remaining stationary).  My score was quite respectable, considering how little I've done this over the past few months (5/9/9/5).

After I got home (could feel my mojo returning as I pushed it up the hill to home) it was a twenty minute break and then catch a bus to the Ice Arena (the missus was captaining the car) for B's Ice Blast session.  He got there late, but not so late that I don't think he wouldn't have been pretty worn by the end.  I noticed a lot more contact between him and his main peer this time, and that he seemed to be quite at home on his skates.  I had to rush and catch the bus home before he'd changed out of his gear, but I reckon he's about ready for Hockey Academy if he's keen.  That should put him in good stead through summer as the build up to peewees begins.

Anyways, after I got home it was do a good solid double upper body circuit (using 11 reps in each set, up from yesterday's 10) before having some mushrooms and half a pizza.

On reflection, I reckon that I could feel the benefits of the off ice work I've done over past couple of months while skating this afternoon.  Despite the difficulty posed by the lack of conditioning I in some ways found the work easier, in that my muscles were not being pushed to their outer limits without going further.  We'll see how this observation holds as I get my aerobic and anaerobic systems back on line.

And now it's half time in Port Adelaide's elimination game over in Fremantle.  They're losing, but not out of it yet, so I'm going to leave this post and get back to the footy!

Later edit: Port wins by three goals, coming back from 31 points down at one point.  Go the POWER!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment