Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 21 September 2014

Grand Final Thoughts

It is very nice to have won the premiership!  I have never before had the experience.  It would have been nice to be at the presentation dinner, but I was otherwise committed.  I will apparently be able to collect my gold medal and MVP trophy at the start of next season.  Looking forward to it.

The Grand Final MVP award (Most Valued Player) was a surprise, I must say, when I checked the Vikings' website this morning to discover it.  Looking back at the game however (see previous posts), I can perhaps see why.  And that is without mention of the fact that I was often playing onfield director with our team, taking instruction from Matt the Goalie, but otherwise directing our resources when it was required and I was involved (eg. one of our players skating to recover or pressure the puck, I can do it more efficiently and do so, instruct my team mate that this is the case (eg. "I got it/him,") and what they should do (eg. "you take him / her /", "go here/there", etc)).

Without really realising it, I seem to have developed from someone who plays hockey into a hockey player (there is a difference) over the season.  This only came through with clarity in the final game game of the season.  If so, just in time for the upcoming ice hockey season!

*

After the Grand Final it was interesting to hear some of the feedback (beyond the mutual congratulations amongst those who'd played).  Total strangers seemed to mention, for example, my crashing of the net in the first half.  Though only a minor incident in terms of the game, it obviously left a great impression on them.

The three best players of the opposition drew reference to the fact that our team outpositioned their's, that we always seemed to have them covered while preventing them covering us.  It certainly didn't feel that way to me while I was out there, but I would probably agree that we nearly always managed to provide at least an outlet option to a pressured team mate and almost always covered the slot when they had possession.  Beyond that, we improvised the whole way.  I think, though, that our various half time mantras through the season all came into play during this game, and sum up what we managed to do as a team.

Put most simply, "Defence, Passing, Possession and Position."  Brenton should be proud!

Shaun was impressed by the speed and level of physicality in the game.

James (who'd arrived around half time and would later give me a lift home) pointed out a final aspect of my game that I hadn't even considered previously.  This is the fact that I absolutely don't shy away from the physical aspects of the game, in particular the crash of body onto floor or board and the clash of body colliding with body.  I've always known this about myself - a certain level of 'no fear' when the blood is hot.

What I hadn't accounted for is others' reaction to it.  For example, James pointed out how at least one of the opposition had backed off of a puck contest as I bored in.  And I myself had seen others take a second thought about their intended action as they realised I was heading their way with disruption in my eyes (mission accomplished, from my perspective, at this point!).

*

Season over, it's now time to turn my attention towards Ice Hockey.  It will be interesting to return to it after my inline experience.  It will also be interesting to see how I manage to play both forms of hockey competitively over summer.

The next steps?  A final season review for the inline, and a season prospectus for the ice.

Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment