Fridge

Fridge

Friday 29 August 2014

Sunday Skate - river sprints

I've let my posting slip over the past week.  Sorry about that.

Last Sunday evening I was a little sore in the core after the Wheelers game the night before.  It was a lazy day and would have been very easy to just avoid the opportunity to go skating at some point in the afternoon.  Luckily, I resisted my inertia and got on my skates.

Was initially going to go down to the school and get a bit of stick n puck practice in, but upon reflection decided that skating is the core skill in hockey and that was what should therefore get first priority in my very limited skating time at present. 

The next issue, go down the school or the river?  I didn't make up my mind until I was at the bottom of my own street.  Feeling 'casual', I decided to go down the river.  Also, feeling 'guilty' about my constant negotiation with my 'lazy gene', I decided to build in something in the way of training for more than mere balance and cardio vascular exercise.  On the way, I decided, I would throw in a series of high intensity sprints.  This is, after all, the particular skating technique that I wanted to develop over winter.

I was gone for about 25 minutes, covered the 2-3 km 'short' circuit I have.  In that time I had about ten 'sprint sessions', where I just went flat out in a straight line for a limited distance.  The distance varied between 10 and 50 metres, and about half of the sprints were up some degree of incline.  On at least three occasions I got to the point where I felt the thigh muscles 'burning'.  After each sprint I cruised/glided with minimum energy expenditure for at least the time I'd been sprinting.  By the final uphill sprints I was finding that my body was recovering quicker from the exertions than it had during the first few.

A good use of a half hour of time on a beautiful evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment