Fridge

Fridge

Monday 4 August 2014

Mid season off season off ice evolution

Regular readers will know that I am about half way through a midseason offseason break from competitive hockey.  I haven't played a regular season game for over three weeks, nor any shinnies, and tomorrow will mark the third week since any formal training.  Even worse, it has been eight days since I donned a pair of skates!  It's partly been due the weather, partly due family and excessive work commitments, mainly due choice (after all, there's always a means if there is enough desire).

The logic behind the situation is that, seeing as there was a break from training and games for two weeks, and then an ongoing break from match play for another almost four weeks with the prospect of the build up towards summer season ice hockey to follow, now would be about the only chance for a real break this side of christmas.  So, I might as well take the opportunity to give myself a total break (or, close to) and come back refreshed (even if out of condition).

A twist was added to the situation when, in the last two competitive hockey games I played (a Vikings inline game and a Noarlunga ice shinny) I was beaten in play by strength and power (plus size).  Also, in the last academy session of the term, I experienced where I could benefit in my skating from increased strength and stability through Sami's drilling.  Conincidentally, I learned that the only time that pro hockey players really get to work on strength per se in their off ice training is in a window of five or so weeks in the summer 'break'.  I thought I'd follow suit (in a stepped down amature program more suited to my own strength conditioning needs in low grade leagues and a middle aged body).

Core to this has been a program of workouts at home, average of about five days a week.  Alternating between upper and lower body/core, concentration on muscle growth and absolute strength.  There has been a concomitant change to my diet to take account of my body's needs.  If I flag in my desire ever, I remind myself how I don't want to be pushed off the puck so easily.  It's all part of the overall strategy to become a more dangerous player when summer season kicks off.

After this present phase, it will be a return to inline competition/training, and concentration on conditioning when on the ice (while I refind my ice legs).  That should merge into summer season quite nicely...

*

Recently I acquired another dumb-bell, complete with selection of weights (Thanks Jess!).  So I pared it back to the bar and 2x1 kg weights and used it and my original in an expanded upper body circuit last night.  This has now expanded to the following (all with two dumb bells in use at same time, now that I have them):

15 x curls
15 x forward extensions
15 x sideways extension
10 x 'schwarzenager' curl/pec opening/upwards extensions
15 x upward extensions
10 x pushups
15 x seated buttefly crunches
15 x kneeling 'donkey kicks' (one side at a time)
1 x 45s planks

REPEAT

Tonight, despite my tiredness and general lethargy, I managed to get in an upperbody workout:

15 x squats
15 x ankle lifts (each ankle)
20 x lunges
1 x 45s plank
15 x pushups

REPEAT followed by 5 x 20s double leg ab presses

On Saturday, I also performed double sets of 10 x quadrapeds (an alternate to the 'superman plank').  I thought I'd give myself a break tonight, considering the hour (started at 10pm).

Well, that about does it for now.  I hope to keep going the next two nights, give myself a break on Thursday when I drive to Victoria with Nancy for the start of a week's holiday.  We'll be packing ourselves a 'gym bag' of equipment, mats, clothes, so we can keep up with our individual programs on the road.  Who would have guessed this a year ago?!

All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment