Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 3 August 2014

Blast Off

Yesterday afternoon was B's first Ice Blast session for the current term.  Ice Blast is a six week program (scattered across about 8 weeks due conflicting demands on the ice) for 6-12 year olds designed to introduce them to the basics of ice hockey.  We had grabbed the last spot in the current round a couple months ago and have been eagerly awaiting its commencement.  As expected it was a real blast!

Earlier in the afternoon I went and checked the gear I scored earlier this year in a package deal from Vince the Monaro Man.  We'd already sorted out which of the shoulder pads and gloves and helmets fitted B, that the knee pads and elbow pads did, that the hockey pants didn't (I'd sorted this with the organisers, we'd use a pair of theirs), that all the various acroutments (boxer shorts with inbuilt protector, hockey socks, neck guard and hockey sweater) were suitable.  B had his skates, stick and mouthguard.  We had a big Bauer bag for it all.  The only issue I still had to deal with was the missing chin strap on the helmet.  I solved that by taking the strap off the spare and modifying very slightly so it would fit.  Then, off to the Ice Arena to meet B and the crew.

As is fitting, the first experience the kids got was of a 'crowded' change room.  Or at least, it appeared crowded to B (though I know from experience that a hockey change room can get a lot more crowded than what it was yesterday).  There were about a dozen children ranging in age from 4 - 12, fairly evenly scattered in the age range.  It took about half an hour to get B kitted up, including in his 'new' hockey pants we now have on loan (to be traded back when he outgrows them).  He certainly looked the part when he went out to the entrance to the rink.

They had an hour of ice time.  The first twenty or so minutes was 'free' to let the organisers work out who could skate and who couldn't and the kids to get used to whole situation.  B and a couple of the older boys checked out their skating skills in their bulky gear, tried hitting around either the light blue plastic pucks used for junior training or the soccer balls that were floating around.

Then, the kids got split into two groups based on skating ability, the beginners down one end and the relatively skilled up the other.  My view, B was probably the best skater of the kids (due his hard work and lessons over the past six months, no surprise there).  The lesson was still generally free form, with Coach pulling them in and putting them through their paces at different moments with simple back and forth 'tests' across the ice.  Again, primary purpose was assessment, but also was used to give the kids a few ideas on what they'll be learning and how to do it.

B came out of it at the end feeling more tired out than he thought he would, and certainly a lot more sweaty!  I think he was a bit 'shell shocked' from the huge amount of sensory and conceptual inputs he'd experienced across the hour - made me think of how I felt after my first experiences with stick'n'puck.  He had looked very very comfortable out there and I don't doubt that if he keeps going he'll be surpassing me by this time next year at the absolute latest.

We got home and found a safe place to store his gear while he awaits the next session.  I'll miss it as am on holiday, but will get to as many as I can over the next couple of months.

What a blast!

*

Thursday and Friday had become 'rest days' due my inactivity, so yesterday morning I returned to the off ice ice training commitment I've made for my present midseason offseason, doing a twenty minute lower body workout before breakfast.  I put together what I've been shown by Nancy, Jess, Shane and what I've read in a couple books I have to fine tune the basic circuit I've settled on.  As I hadn't felt that I'd been pushing it in the lower body over past couple weeks I shortened the sets to ten reps each, and then repeated them.  I was certainly feeling it after I'd stretched down.  This morning, can feel the various muscles that were particularly worked, and they are actually the ones I wanted to!

So, all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment