Fridge

Fridge

Wednesday 21 May 2014

Academy - themeing D

Last night I got to the Ice Arena with comfortable time to change before Ice Hockey Academy.  About twenty players, one goalie again.  This week, if there was a 'theme' it was about playing defensively.  Or at least, that's what themed the night for me.  I've never really noticed 'themes' before, though, having recognised a layered approach in other levels of his classes, it wouldn't surprise me at all.  Part of his art is to not give meta commentary in his sessions, letting the player's put the pieces together themselves with him helping by providing the tools.

Anyway...

Worked upwards from basic inside edge hockey stops, adding forwards then backwards cross (under) starts from the stop (ie. pivots).  Then, shots on goal from a horsehoe at 20 feet plus, forehand and backhand.  Then some passing one on one.  Then passing interchanged with one on one battles.  Then work in pairs, starting on opposite sides of the goal line, crossing over with a pass / drop off, up the boards over the blue and repeat the cross, followed by pass(es) and shot(s) against a tended goal.  Then repeat this with a defender thrown in against.  Then a three count back checking chase.  Then some red rover, then red rover without using the hands (ie, bodycheck).  Then some sprints across the ice, stop, swift accelerate backwards.  And a lap to cool down.

What I got out of all that?  A bunch of defensive concepts (though could equally be taking away converse offensive concepts).  Of note, the crossing passoff, and the undercutting acceleration out of a pivoting stop.  Both very very useful.  The first, will rely on my trainings to keep drilling this into me (as by definition require at least one other skater to do).  The second, of which the basic skating move is what I've been calling undercutting reverse c's over the past few weeks, is something I can work on.  It ties directly into my more grand goal of working on my acceleration this off season  All good, in other words.

A good session.

No comments:

Post a Comment