Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 6 April 2014

Sunday Skate

Upon my return from my morning schoolyard shootout I had time to wolf down a serve of rice and lamb randang, and then it was off to pick up the grandkids and head down to the Ice Arena.  We made good time and were able to get an hour and half of skating in before time was called.  For the second week in a row, three kids and no blisters - something which all four of us celebrated.

As always, a pleasure to behold the development of the kids.  B (9) is starting backwards crossovers, and getting close to a technically correct hockey stop.  It was a comforting to hear him on the return trip expound a simple theory that one doesn't need to practice for speed unless one is practicing speed skating, better value to 'get it right' and the speed will come natural.  J (11) continues to amble along at his own pace, but is finally looking a lot more comfortable in his action.  E (7) is now confident and basically fluent on her feet, though she gets a bit worn before an hour is up.  All three were beaming by the end of our session.

As for me, after blowing off the expected cobwebs (in less time than last week, thank goodness) I was spending my time on the basics, putting on bursts of speed to about 80% forwards and backwards.  The new technique I was playing with was skating backwards, cutting my feet in outside edge small 'c's beneath my body as I did so.  It's really a defender's movement, but I enjoy it and it's good for edge work.  Only the one sliding spill at speed with no harm done.

Three hours of skating in a day!  When I got home I was pretty hungry so gulped down a bowl of banana/cream/yoghurt before finishing off the rice and randang later in the evening.

Back on track.  Now to work out what I can do to keep up the basic condition through the week (no more daylight saving, sad).

No comments:

Post a Comment