Fridge

Fridge

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Vikings Training and Thanks!

Being a Wednesday, this evening was North Vikings C/B- grades' training session.  An hour coached by a guy called Peter who knows his stuff and plays A Grade (and I think was once serious in ice terms), with a fair degree of puck 'n' stick, tactics and teamwork. About 20 trainees.

First drill, I missed because I got there a bit late (not uncommon).  I think that it was carry a puck up the rink with a lot of turns along the way.  Second drill, basic shooting (announced as being to 'warm up the goalies') from a ring around the goals (just like at the start of a game).  Third drill, basic shoot 'n' scoot - skate down the wing and then cut into and across the goal front with a shot.  Forehand and backhand sides.  Fourth drill, basic skate (skate up the rink around the cones in slalom style - concentrating on the cornering itself) and then do it with a puck.  An 'intermission' style with about three breaks for 'grab a drink' and one of a couple minutes 'free time' (shooter, skater, dekers, and carriers (me) got to do what they want), and, finally, BATTLE (teams of five or so start in opposite corners, skate up the wings and around the goal at other end of rink then race against the opposing team coming from the other end to the puck in the middle, and then try and get a goal).  Pretty tiring, but a great blast to finish off with.  Good pedagogy too.

For some reason I seemed to have a high percentage of backhand shots/carries in what I did tonight, (including a sweet goal in the third drill).  Perhaps a result of the drills I did on my own on Saturday morning?  Interesting, therefore, that the trait didn't manifest itself in the game on Saturday night.  That says something that I have learned the hard way earlier - if it requires thinking about (as is the case when you are learning something) then there just isn't time during a game to do it.  Simple.

Speaking of time and games, another interesting observation: does the proportion of skill time to 'battle' time at pretty well all the training sessions I've been to over the past year (on ice and inline with almost a dozen different trainers) bear any relation to the proportion of non-game time to game time a hockey player must somehow maintain over time? Roughly, 4 or 5 to 1?  I think they kind-of do, but the numbers are far more extreme when you add in all the private practice.  At least, for me!

Then it was the long drive home.  With plenty of time to think about my development as a player (another topic!).  With quite an operative slant, however, because I've decided to try out on Sunday evening (the only one of several dates that I'll be able to make before season starts on 30 March, assuming I make the cut).  But even the experience of making the commitment to try out is an interesting one, as you've probably gathered if you have read the post that proceeds this one.

Between now and Sunday I have probably fine weather.  Which equals a couple evenings to drill at the school or tour down the river, a Saturday morning inline skate before an evening top-of-the-ladder game, a Sunday afternoon session on the ice with the boys, and then a 4 hour hiatus before returning to the Ice Arena for an hour of tryouts.

Which is a fair bit of skating time, but not too much.  If I look after myself in the meantime.  More on that later.

For now, Thanks Nancy, for going along with my drive!  As well as everybody else...

No comments:

Post a Comment