Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Dilemma!

There is no try. There is only do and not do.
Yoda.

It's raining (or at least, wet (this is Adelaide!)) so, even though I got home early, I can't go inline skating.  I was just wondering what else I should do instead (anything to avoid all those jobs around the house that need doing) when I learned that it seems there will be a winter 'Premier C Grade' season on the ice.  Fewer teams than summer, membership subject to a draft following tryouts.  Process kicks off in less than a fortnight.

This is great news.  Potentially, ice hockey all year round, and even just competing in the tryouts would be an experience in itself!  I'd have to get into a regime immediately for this as first tryout is less than a fortnight away (though I can't make that particular day due clash with Qualifying Final for the Wheelers).  Assuming that I can  make the alternative tryout day/s (still waiting on the detail), is it something I should do?

There's a few issues to think through (what this post is about).

Firstly, and also to help dispel what I regard as a myth, inline skating is not in itself detrimental to ice skating (nor vice versa).  I say this from my own experience.  As I've learned, one needs to make the effort to keep the ice/inline legs in synch, but that is doable.  I've been doing it since the Knight's last game in summer with the emphasis on the inline.  I could do it the other way.  It's not like we play for sheep stations in the Vikings C Grade comp, I'd hold my own I'm sure.

Tick to the Inline/Ice issue.

I don't want to make a commitment to something that I can't follow through on (and, if by some miracle mixed with dint of hard work) I did make the cut, I'd certainly want to keep my Vikings colours flying (even if it took a second place when ice games clashed).  I'd be willing to forego all other inline commitments to concentrate on the ice.  I suspect I'd still be able to play more inline games than not, and organise beforehand with the Vikings reserve coordinator to cover my team when I wasn't there.  Finals would only be a problem if I made it in both forms of hockey.  If it was a clash of grand finals, I'd deal with that at the time lol (bloody optimist).

So, tick to the Vikings clash (except present season's finals - potential game breaker).

Every Saturday would involve a game of either ice or inline hockey, with at least every other week featuring an ice game on different day/time also.  Do-able.  There'd be an hour at weird day/time training on the small ice every week (I'd do it if it didn't clash with Wheeler's game so as to interfere with Wheeler's season).  If I bought a term's Academy membership that would be 3-10 Tuesday evenings and a skate each week with the boy/s (assuming at least one continues).  These are the minimal requirements timewise to be real.  This equates with a minimum of 3 ice and 1 additional ice or inline session a week.  Add a day of rest.  Add another day for recreational skate / inline training session / injury recovery / kid time / etc.  Add up to 7 more Academy sessions and finals games (if feeling optimistic).  Still do-able.

Tick to the time factor.

Neither sport is cheap, though the ice is a lot more expensive than the inline.  Total Ice fees would be about $700 (Minimum of 10 small ice trainings, 3 academy sessions, 10 public sessions and 12 games over 3-4 months,  (add more academy and playoff games if optimistic)).  The Inline runs at about $120 for the season (14 games, 14 training sessions).  I have all equipment required, but still probably need to spend a few dollars for ice uniform if I get the chance and expendables (sharpening, laces, tape).  I presently have a relatively comfy middle class job.  Stop all junk food purchase and recoup half the cost.  Stop smoking and make a profit.  No excuse here.

Tick to the cost factor.

That leaves two unresolved main issues, logistics (the logistics of a busy one car family in particular, considering all the travel time that is implied as a maximum in the minimal participation outlined above) and the wife factor.  These issues are interrelated, the first factoring in as a derivative of the second on closer reflection.  Of course, there's at least a middling chance that I won't have improved enough from summer to make the cut even if I do try out, so I'll see the lie of the land with the missus and play it from there.

We'll give it a go, anwyays.

No comments:

Post a Comment