Fridge

Fridge

Tuesday 1 November 2016

G1 - Kings (6) d Knights (3)

Last Thursday was our season opener in a late game against the Kings.  We had ten skaters and Tommy in Goals.  Five of our players were rookies.  We played 4D and two lines.  First period was tight, 2-1.  Second Period we started to get the upper hand, 4-3.  They skated it out and we had no answer in the last.

As a team we gelled fairly well.  The new guys all pushed themselves hard and they can all play.  We killed off seven minutes of penalties in the second period, including a shorthanded goal to counter their power play goal.  That took a bit of effort and shows what we are capable of (albeit I didn't play much on the PK due Bacon staying out there almost the whole time.

My stats were 0-0-0, no penalty minutes, Minus 3.  Didn't close the gap enough, which cost that first goal as my opponent shot from the middle of the circle.  Tommy wasn't on his game, but no excuse on my part.  Otherwise, was fairly happy with my game.  I joined the rush once in the third, and even carried the puck into the Offensive zone a couple times.

Christian is now our coach.  He seemed to pull the team along with him and spoke common sense.  I like his style, especially the time he takes out to give a quick 'lesson' when a player comes back to the bench (if they need it).  He didn't get too upset during the game and was smiling afterwards.

Not too bad an effort, but we will need to improve (especially positional play) if we want to get value for our efforts in future.

On Sunday I went to my first training for this season.  A fairly basic repertoire, with stopping and stride technique, followed by a simple offensive system practice.  Ended with 3 on 3 shinny - where I noticed that I certainly tie a man up and pressure the carrier BUT without other players doing that I take myself out of the play by doing so and they score a goal.

With schedule changes, we are playing 5 games in 10 nights, starting tonight.  Will get pretty tiring.

On a final note, before our game against the Kings Christian 'awarded' the leadership group positions in the change room.  No surprises that Jonesey was made Captain and Bacon an Alternate, but I WAS surprised when I was named the other Alternate!  This is a bit of an honour, and almost a first for me (haven't had a formal leadership role on a team since an indoor cricket outfit when I was 20).  I went and checked with the guy I thought would have got the gig as soon as possible, but he was keen for me to keep the role, so I have.  I guess I'll have to learn the rules now!

No comments:

Post a Comment