Fridge

Fridge

Monday 12 October 2015

Game Day - Knights (4) d Generals (0)

On Thursday we played the late game at the Ice Arena, this time against one of the Division's new teams, the Generals.  We had eleven skaters, down one from our first two games, and had Tommy between the pipes.  We changed the structuring of our team by switching Jonesy and Cam back onto the D with Mitch and I, and running two offensive lines, one have rotating wings.  Baden was our 1C, Richard led the second line.  Justine was back and kept us honest.

It is the case with hockey that, if one doesn't record it immediately afterwards, the narrative of the game will be gone by the next day.  What is left is impressions so that is what I'll try and capture later in this blog.  First, though, a brief outline.

The first period was even on the scoreboard, 0-0.  On the ice, however, it was a different story with the Knights massively outshooting the black team.  I don't have a scorecard but we had about three shots on net in the first shift alone, I think they totalled one maybe two for the period.  Second period was much the same in terms of shot differential, with the (major) exceptions being that they go NIL shots on net and we put in two goals.  In the third period we cleaned up with two more scoring shots giving Tommy his first shut out for the season and continuing the horror which is the Generals first four games.

In terms of impressions - a fun game.  With four D on our team it was a bit easier than the first two games.  I will deal with the fitness metrics in a separate post that also draws data from other games.  I was up to most of the conditioning related tasks (eg. push and shove, hold position, stick lifting, ability to sprint) and what I lacked in terms of ability or skill (eg speed and quickness against their first line) I made up for with positioning and reaction speed.  The couple of times I got badly caught out my D partner or centre was on the case.

One of these episodes was entirely my fault.  I occurred late in the first period when they iced the puck back into our zone.  I was last man back and chased the puck until it hit the back board.  I was still above our goal and gliding towards the skittering puck that was by now behind our goal when I realised that, firstly, the referee hadn't blown the whistle, and secondly, their fastest skater was powering around outside me and would get there first.  I set off in pursuit but was too late to do anything more than drive him towards the other back corner and tie him up there while my D partner covered the net front against the cross pass.  A scary moment.

I carried the puck from deep in our zone right through to the goal line late in the second period.  I haven't done this before.  I found clear ice by barging my way through a confused winger/D combination on our blue line.  I got a bit too excited and the puck sort of leaked off my stick as I got close to goal.  I ended up on the boards behind their net and had to race back to the point to defend the blue.

My main role was defending the blue lines (as it should be for a defender).  I am able to say this as we didn't have to much defend our net or goalie too much, though they had a couple of deep penetrations these were the exceptions.  Our team's play in the neutral zone and forechecking generally was really strong.

The one real battle royale in front of net was in the third, involved kicking the puck, clearing sticks, pushing out the opposition, manipulating my stick while falling to not bring anyone else down but still retain it, shielding the puck with body and feet, hammering the puck out of the danger zone and following through to prevent time for a shot.  Great fun!

My youngest sister was over from Melbourne for the Masters Games which were on in Adelaide (she is a figure skater) and she was in the stands for the first two periods.  It was great to be able to show her where I have gotten to in my development as a skater.  After the game she said that I was one of the best three skaters on our team and don't have to worry about that front.  She also said that I need to work on my stickhandling and puck work.  I can't disagree with these observations!

I was on ice for 2 of our goals though played no direct role in either.

After the game had a dip in the pool (closest thing I have to an ice bath) as this apparently improves muscle recovery rates.  I did this to start getting ready for the inline game I was to play on Saturday. 

GP 3 G 0 A 0 Pts 0 -1 2/0/1/0

Ice 42

No comments:

Post a Comment