Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 16 July 2015

Return to the ice

I went for a social skate last night, enjoying the fact that there is no Vikings training during school holidays, nor is the big ice taken up by A Grade at the Ice Arena.  Thus I could actually get to the social skating session, and it was on the big ice.  So I took the opportunity.

I did a few squats before I left, which will have to suffice for a lower body/legs workout, when combined with the ice time.

On the ice itself, I was a bit wobbly and out of breath for the first twenty minutes, partly due lack of ice time over the past few months, partly due still being not comfortable in my skates.  A readjustment of sock and laces, a word or two of advice from a more experienced skater regarding finding my edges, and another twenty minutes allowed me to put in a good session over the hour.  Raised the body temp and gave a good cardio vasc workout, on top of sustained aerobic exercise.  Not to mention, rehearsing most of the technical aspects of my skating and making improvements on them all (such as getting the inside foot to scrape evenly during my hockey stops, pulling of 3-turns both forwards and backwards).

It wasn't too crowded, but wasn't too empty either.  Music was mainly from before 1970.  My feet didn't hurt and my right leg didn't feel weak at the end.  Progress.

A good evening.

Ice 26

No comments:

Post a Comment