Fridge

Fridge

Monday 27 July 2015

"A tough little bastard!"

In the aftermath of Saturday's defeat by the Bumpers their top shooter called me a 'tough little bastard'.  For a middle age player who is 5'6", 135lbs (167cm / 62kg) and not yet four weeks into a pre-season strength and conditioning program, this was almost inspirational.  My opponent was a big 6'2" and I'd managed to forecheck, block, harrass and challenge him the whole game.  But pinning him successfully to the board and then holding him there had to have been the highlight of our battle.

We'd skated head on towards a loose puck behind our goal, he'd tried to protect it and get it out, I'd jammed the puck back in with my stick and then prevented him breaking free by activating core and thigh to push him into the board.  As he pushed back off the boards against me, I jammed my leg between his and held onto the board to push him back in.  Eventually he struggled free, but not before he'd lost control of the play.  This is the first time I've achieved this against a reasonable player who is significantly bigger than myself.  It's for moments like these that I'm training.  It was great to feel the payoff, even greater to have my effort recognised by my opponent after the game.

I was pretty happy with my game overall, though there were some significant failings also (more to do with decision making rather than skill or fitness).  Apart from the above mentioned strength contest, aspects with which I was pleased included several stick checks and steals off of their attacking forwards (I include within these incidents the fact that I managed the gap and my speed to do so), the fact that I protected the puck and thought about what I was doing (instead of just whacking it) when I won narrow races to loose entries, strong harassing play from behind when chasing down their players on the breakaway, getting at least five shots on goal from dangerous positions in the slot (including two on the breakaway).  I made a few good cross rink passes to clear the zone, and used our net to shelter behind when we reset.  All these things were good, noticeable improvements even from the start of the present season.

Other, more 'meta', aspects of my game also showed continued development.  I played to my physical limit, but not beyond, on most shifts.  At no point did I feel totally spent, and I finished the game strong.  I combined well with Brenton, generally managing with him to ensure our defence was covered on our line.  I took my role as 'best skater' on our team quite seriously and generally managed to contain their most dangerous skater or powerful shot on the backcheck.

The times I failed to perform up to ability during the game were generally moments to do with wrong gameplay choices.  Sadly, two of those moments resulted in them scoring.  The first occurred during their power play (Crystal's minor for tripping).  Me and Brenton took the penalty kill and were doing quite well holding it in their end.  I even got a rush on and put a shot on goal.  Sadly, I didn't hold my feet and went down in mid rink.  I managed to gather the rebound in from my knees (!) but, rather than hold and protect the puck while I got to my feet, I dumped it back in after even thinking of taking a shot from the floor (I had time for choices).  Unsurprisingly, they gathered it in and on the resultant rush I was unable to close the gap on their shooter on the far wing.  He got off a crunching laser shot from just past the centre line (said shot curving past me through the air to find the top corner of the net).

My second major 'fail' moment also involved a shot that I might otherwise have prevented.  This time, Jana came down the centre, cut to her right and then came in at the goals from the boards.  I'd dropped back rather than tracking her, meaning she had time and space to close the distance and aim her shot.  I hesitated, ended up attempting to slide in front of the shot on my knees.  She delayed a millisecond and the shot went through (probably at least partially screened by myself).

My own goal was a hard shot from the slot, after I'd managed to shake my coverage and open a passing lane from Crystal in the corner.  I held off shooting for a moment, tapped the puck to create a better angle, released.  I struck it hard and it went through above Mat the Goalie's sprawling pads.  This was the only shot that I deliberately set up and aimed, the others were rushed when they didn't need to be.  I totally forgot my backhand as a shooting option.  I could do better in this regard.

Be this all as it may, I was pleased with my game, and generally with the Wheelers players.  We have our own lives outside of hockey and as a team its up to the rest of us to perform better when one of us is down.  Our failings were as a team rather than as players.  Knowing us, we'll learn.

I think, though, that what I'll most remember the game for is being called a 'tough little bastard.'  It makes the hard slog of training somewhat worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment