Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 7 May 2015

Wheelers, Wheels and Vikings Training

The Vikings winter season starts this weekend, first training was last night.  I am again on the Wheelers in Div II.  The Pfeiffers and Krystal return to the fray, Rick has been put into Div I.  We get a new skater, Krystal's brother, and a new goalie (unknown).  The Bumpers and Rockers each have six skaters on their roster, the Shufflers have five at the moment.  I know 90% of the skaters in the division (including Greg and Jana who start this season, from ice skating and then ice hockey).  The teams look pretty even, with no real 'super stars' and few if any that can't skate.  It's really cool how the division has improved in its overall play over the past year.

I went to training last night.  I was really looking forward to it, badly missing hockey for the past six weeks.  When I got there I found out that I wasn't the only one who felt this way.  It was really nice just to meet up with my fellow players and get skating.

I'd bought some new wheels for the occasion.  Seeing as I won't get much if any chance to skate in the neighborhood for a while now, I got a full set of indoor wheels.  They should give me a better grip on the indoor surface and not wear out too quick.  That is, unless and until I learn to do a power slide!  For the record, I have two Mission 76mm 74a and two 80mm Rink Rat 74a wheels on each skate.  I've popped my old Bauer bearings into the worn wheels and put them aside so I can do a quick change into outdoor wheels if the opportunity presents.

For training, the Vikings have shifted to a combined Div I and II session, the group dividing into 'experienced' and 'beginner'.  Which is basically Div I and Div II, because it wouldn't be right to call those with whom I skated 'beginners', everyone could do the basic skills required to participate in the session.

Concentrated mainly on passing, passing while moving, puck carrying, puck protection and stick checking, finishing with 2 on 1 battles.  Good session, not too exhausting.  Being able to travel direct from work, rather than via home to pick up a car and rush back, was sooooooo much more relaxing also!

Inline 29

For the record, I went shooting for a hundred shots down the school a few weeks ago.  I'll put up the stats when I do my next major outdoor skate, but I should make the point of counting it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment