Fridge

Fridge

Monday 16 March 2015

New Bearings, tape and pucks as playoffs start

The summer ice hockey season has entered its final stages, with the second game of playoffs this afternoon.  As I wasn't playing and had nothing better to do (!) I went down the rink for a gander.  Deciding to make the most of a glorious early autumn afternoon, I also visited the skate shop at the Ice Arena to get some needed consumables for my inline finals campaign.

It's a bit scary to think that if the Knights had made it to the playoffs I might not have been playing in the Wheelers Prelim Final victory the night before (the first round of ice playoffs were on at the same time).  Another reason to forego summer season inline hockey next season.  It'll be hard, but I'll probably be due a break around then anyway.

For the record, I picked up some Mission Abec 7 bearings, another trio of 'green biscuit' practice pucks, and some hockey tape.  While watching telly tonight I retaped my Vapour 'inline' stick and replaced the original bearings on my skates with the new ones.  The wheels seem to roll easier.  I don't know that I exactly need ABEC 7 bearings (a rididulous level of precision in manufacture, way beyond what would be needed by a rotating inline wheel) but it will be nice to have wheels that roll as easily as other skaters' seem to.

As I regularly shatter the neon green practice pucks, I only got one this time around and will limit its use to stickhandling practice.  I got two dark green shooting pucks to add to the two survivors that I have, should speed up my practice and allow a better rhythm to develop.  Looking forward to sharpening my game before the Grand Final.

Anyways...

When I'd satisfied my consumption urge I went up to the stands to watch the final two periods of the Redwings v Kings game.  The Kings had won the night before, so it was an elimination final for the Redwings.  It was good to watch, the standard of the game has improved massively over the season as the teams and players have developed.  In the end result, the Redwings won 3-1.

I'll try and get to the series decider on Thursday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment