Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 1 March 2015

Game Day - Shufflers (6) d Wheelers (2)

I played both early and late Div II games tonight in the North Vikings Inline Hockey Club at Gawler.

In the first game there was only me and Krystal of the regular Wheelers team, and Jye in goal for the third game running.  We had three 'U17's,' who were actually U14's; Lauren, Rachel and Leslie.  The Shufflers ran regular full lines.  They have clinched top spot on the ladder, we were one point off of second spot (which we would not get even if we are equal on points due less wins in regulation time).  This was the penultimate round of the regular season.

The kids played brilliantly, couldn't ask for anything more from them.  Young Rachel got player of the match in my eyes, very resilient and determined lassie.  Krystal bothered me by staying out for the entire second half, but once I learned that her mum was watching for the first time ever it all made sense.

It was, in fact, Krystal and me that combined for both of our team's goals, in both instances she held it up in the corner and then passed it in from the boards once I had found a passing lane in the mid slot region.  It was nice to be on the scoring ledger again, for the second week in a row.

Me and Nikoletta didn't have our usual battle royale this game, several times racing for the puck.  We did have one funny moment, however, when we were racing along an oblique angle to the boards when all of a sudden she started to fall backwards.  I was right behind her, caught her in my arms and steadied us both (the puck had bounced away somewhere else by now).  I asked if she was alright, she asked me, and we both raced off again.  The people in the stands in front of whom it happened had a good laugh and there were even a few 'blue' comments.  Could only happen in 'C Grade'!

I had a couple good shots on goal from wraparound attempts, much more dangerous than my one last week, but both were snaffled by their goalie (beneath whom pucks couldn't seemingly go).  A couple times we were very unlucky, with the puck loose between their goalie's legs an inch from the line when the whistle went, or jammed between pad and post and not fully across the line, etc.  A couple posters, also.

I had no hard battles on the boards, blocked or deflected a couple shots, won probably four of five faceoffs, sticklifted and checked, sweeping it away a couple times, swooped onto loose pucks numerous occasions.  I dumped it in too much when faced with close defensive pressure, a couple times in the second half playing chip and run in this situation however.  I used the boards a fair bit.  Was on for two of the Shufflers goals (and both of ours, obviously).

A fun game, despite the scoreline.

Inline 9

No comments:

Post a Comment