Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 21 March 2015

A finals week off - Part 1

The Wheelers' win last Saturday night marked the start of a two week break from competitive hockey, with the next game being the Grand Final next Saturday night.  I've learned that a week off can be a dangerous thing, especially when about to play a winner take all final.  So I've made an effort to remain hockey focused during this past week.  This has been both on and off of my skates.  This post is about the off-skate hockey week I've had.

Last Sunday, I watched the last two periods of the Redwings v Kings Game at the Ice Arena.  This was the second of their first round playoff series of three games.  The Kings had won the first.  This game, the Wings won.  After this game I watched the first period of the Flyers v Sharks.  It didn't seem as high a standard as what I'd just seen, though I did think that Jana was playing an excellent game in D for the Sharks.

On Monday, I watched the Edmonton Oilers score four goals in ten minutes to beat the Leafs 4-1.  As an Oilers Fan it was good to watch, that ten minutes.  Their season has been awful, though I have gotten to appreciate it in all its depths due the fact that I am subscribed to NHL and have therefore watched maybe twenty games online, some of them live.  Tomorrow I might watch them play the Flyers.

On Thursday I went back to the Ice Arena to watch the deciding game between the Redwings and Kings, along with about 150 other viewers.  That's pretty good for a C grade game.  It really felt like playoff hockey and was a great game to watch.  Redwings won out 2-1 and went through to the finals against the Flyers.  Renee scored the game winning goal in the third, I thought she played a great game.  In fact, it was great to see a bunch of players I've played with and against over the past year having a really good game.

Friday, I watched Winnipeg defeat the Blues 2-1.  I had thought it would be a tight defensively strong game, which it was.  And it was pretty exciting at the same time, the goalies (particularly Pavalec for the Jets) really shone.  Both the style of game and skater were markedly different from Edmonton's smaller framed more agile set of play and player.  If Edmonton can one day make 'it' work, they'll be fantastic (yawn).  Until then, I have a soft spot for the Jets and if they make the playoffs they'll be who I follow.

Today (Saturday) I drove the hippy van to Gawler to watch the Semi Final between the Shufflers and the Rockers.  To my surprise, the Rockers with only four skaters came out clear winners over the full strength Shufflers.  Paul scored 5 of the Rockers 8 goals against the Shufflers only getting 3.  The Pfeiffers were there also to scout it out.  I think we are agreed that we are playing the preferable opponent next week, but we'll have to be on our A game again.  Should be good.

When I got home this evening I had the house to myself so started to watch a bit of A League soccer (Adelaide United v Melbourne Victory) when realised the third Mighty Ducks movie was on another channel.  So I've just watched the third Mighty Ducks movie.  A bit of an eye opener.  I did like the philosophy of the D presented as the team's core - being confident without the puck, not too careful, not too careless.  A bit disturbing to see the portrayal of juvenile hockey concussions (meant as comedy when filmed, with what we know about head injuries twenty years later it has becoming horrible viewing), or the romanticism of the 'Bash Brothers' as the way to deal with physical opponents.  Anyways, a good film.

Finally, United drew 2-2 against the Victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment