Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 13 December 2014

Skating with the Kids from Albury

Wednesday night at the Ice Arena was pretty busy.  It was the annual visit of the three busloads of teenagers from Albury High (from New South Wales).  Lots of these youngsters had never skated before, but they're country kids and keen to try and they had that lust for life that massed teenagers have so they had a hoot.

It was a buzz for me also because I used to work in Albury, and spent my own teen years in a smaller town not far from Albury, so I can relate to them in a direct way.  Indeed, some of them come from towns that I used to play footy against, or compete against in inter-school competitions such as athletics and running.  Sweet memories.

So, me and Jess and Craig joined the other regulars of the arena and spent a couple hours dodging around between the teens and just enjoying their energy.  And when the buses collected their charges and they all left, it was good to give the thumbs up to the late leavers and get down to about a final half hour with the old hands of the rink, in a more playful mood than we usually are at that point.  It's fair to say that everyone who was left was at least a competent skater.

I did a bit of edge work and stopping, quite a lot of time backwards, and concentrated mainly on deepening my knee bend (for the stability more than for the power).

No comments:

Post a Comment