Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 9 November 2014

Game Day - Wheelers (3) tie Bumpers (3)

Another close game last night at Gawler saw us open the scoring, eventually surrendering a 3-1 lead for a tight draw.  We had our full team of skaters for the first time (with a reserve goalie, however).  It was nice to be able to run two 'permanent' lines of three skaters, letting us keep the shifts to manageable length and put some effort into the team work.  I was on the rink a little over twenty two minutes, split into maybe five shifts per half.

I was on a line with Craig and Krystal.  Craig was solid on the backcheck, Krystal was most useful when closing on their net, I played my usual utility role.  I had about three decent shots at goal, and rushed for the rebound that many times also.  I took about five face offs, clearly winning three and tying up the other two.

My line faced their 'A' line most of the time during the first half, but only about half our starts in the second were against them.  It was their 'B' line which scored on us with five minutes to go and tying the game, which just goes to show.

I was on the rink for all three of our goals, and the last of theirs.  The first goal saw me carry the puck out of defence, holding it after a quick exchange of passes with Craig to allow him to put himself closer to the net.  A tape to tape pass and he popped it in.  I didn't get credited with anything for our second goal, because I was in the high slot and covering defence as Craig took the puck from the right corner behind their net while I urged Krystal to get in to the crease.  She did so, and was in a perfect position to receive a short pass from Craig and one time it in from about three feet before the goalie could scramble across to cover her.

Our third goal, in the second half, turned out to be a relatively simple affair.  I had a shot which rebounded into the left corner, where Krystal gathered it.  She held it long enough for me to maneuver in the slot to give her an outlet as the oppo closed in.  She moved it towards me through traffic.  It would have been awkward for me to do anything but gather and settle it down.  Thus I was very pleased to hear Craig's voice behind me as he pinched down from centre calling for me to leave it for him.  So I pulled my stick up at the last moment, allowing him a clean scoring shot.  Sweet.

As the above shows, all three of our goals relied on passing and communications.  The goal they got against my line showed the danger of not talking.  We were in attack, should have made something of it.  On three separate plays, though, there was confusion and hesitation on our part in close in play, each time allowing their players to move it closer to our goal.  It ended with the puck in the back of our net, tying the game.

My favourite play for the evening was crashing near the boards in our defence, with one of their players down with me and another coming in.  My stick was knocked out of my hands, but I still managed to push it to knock the puck with the shaft and prevent their loose skater taking it away.  I was onto my feet quickly, still stickless, used my feet to block their next attempt to retreive the puck.  The puck rebounded a few feet towards their goal, I chase it and kicked it a few feet more.  Used my body to shield it as it moved, then kicked it again just before they could get around me so that the puck cleared over half way.  That gave me time to turn back and get my stick.

Very satisfying. 

Tonight, the Knights take on the Kings in what should be an even grungier game.

GP 3 G 5 A 3 Pts 8 +6 1/0/2 

No comments:

Post a Comment