Fridge

Fridge

Friday 3 October 2014

Wednesday Knight Skate

I took the opportunity to go down the Arena on Wednesday night for what would probably be the only time on the ice I'll have before the game this coming Sunday afternoon.  I had trials at work on Wednesday and Thursday and was beginning to totally upset my work/life/hockey balance so it was touch and go whether I'd follow through by early Wednesday eve.  Perhaps, normally, I would have decided not to go at the last moment.  However, on this occasion at least, there was an additional driving factor - that the Knights had agreed to get a few of us down there for a little while.

Perhaps surprisingly, almost half of us turned up.  Foxy, Andy, Baden, Aaron, Laghy, me and Justine all put in an appearance.  Of all the teams that were represented by players catching a bit of skating time, we were the most numerous.  A nice change.  Judging by the looks we got as we each did our thing (generally just cruising around, though everyone cut loose at least once) we made a bit of a sight over time.  Afterall, we have some good skaters.

Me, I just cavorted around for an hour and a half.  Randomly turning, stopping, transiting, sprinting or speeding as the mood took me.  I lost my footing twice in overspeed.  The time it takes me to be able to do basic maneuvers is shrinking back to a handful of minutes.  On Sunday I will have to make the most of warmup time before the game to try and get to the point of technical competence on ice asap.

*

Off ice - Upon return from the rink on Wednesday I did a quickfire twin circuit of upper body with weights.  Reps were 10.  I let the skate suffice for a core workout.

Thursday, had Jess and Ashton around and went for a bit of a hike around sunset.  I let that suffice for a lower body circuit.  Especially considering the growing work place fatigue I was experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment