Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 12 October 2014

Sunday Skate - Testing the Ice

This morning I decided to bite the bullet and put on my inlines.  I spent about ten minutes out the front on the driveway and street, slowly doing figure eights, heel to heels and crossovers.  Most of it was okay, but felt discomfort and instability behind the knee when turning in the opposite direction, particularly when it was the trailing foot in a glide.  Not major, more a sensitivity than a sensation, there was no pain or disability afterwards.

So I went down to the Arena for an hour, including maybe 15 minutes off ice chatting with a fellow Viking (met a couple yesterday before the game also, Vikings are everywhere it seems).  At no time did I go fast or very fast(with one exception), generally limited myself to gliding strokes and edges.  Tried most maneuvers, however, including on my toes and three turns.  A lot less strain than the inlines, and could do most things at a reasonable pace.  Stops and transition caused no issues what so ever, even the gliding turn to the left (which was discomfiting on inlines) was fine, though an outward push did register negatively.  All maneuvers while skating backwards were fine.

I did try one sprint at full acceleration between the blue lines before I left.  This did put serious strain on the ligament again, though no harm done as it was no more than five strides.  It will be a limiting factor until I rebuild the strength there.

To that end, I have located a good guide to therapeutic knee exercises.  I hope to start on that tomorrow, knee permitting.  If I do that and core workout a few times this week I might be day to day proposition to play on Sunday.  I must remain honest with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment