Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 5 October 2014

Sunday Skate - Shoot!

This morning I managed to get my energy levels up enough to go out for an hour on the inlines and get some shooting practice in.  I was a bit doubtful upon waking, what with an hour less sleep than normal (due the onset of daylight saving) and a moderate level of stiffness in my legs and in particular, my quads, after yesterday's hike.  But I made a deal with myself that I'd do nothing more adventurous than have some shots and took the bargain and headed out down the hill on a nice warm morning.

I just rolled down the hill today, absolutely nothing to increase speed except sticking in a straight line more than usual, and then an easy cruise to the school.  I was the only sporty person there this morning, a couple dog walkers on the oval being the only other sign of life.  I unloaded my pucks and got into it.

I put a first round of a hundred shots on the goal before deciding that another hundred would be good.  The only variety I added to the normal drill was to slot in three backward skating wrist shots before each set of 25 the second time through.  The idea for this came from watching Edmonton's pre season home game against the Canucks and seeing the potential use in both attack and defence of such a maneuver.  I did practically no skating for skating's sake until the return journey, where the only variation I added to my otherwise easy skate were four short 3-5 pace sprint accelerations as I came up the hill to home.  The logic of this last?  To work the thighs and see if I couldn't get rid of any of the painful kinks in the quads from yesterday's hike.

The shot percentage was pretty good again, and the pace of it all continues to pick up.  Much more controlled, to the point that few of the rebounds even on the full blown wristshot were getting past my waiting stick.  I managed to shatter another of the neon green pucks, so I'm down to three practice pucks again until I can restock.

After a good stretch out upon my return I seem to have removed most if not all of yesterday's soreness, and the tightness that remained in the quads seemed to be more about rebuilding muscle than a strain.  Mission accomplished.

'Score': 6/4/9/7 and 9/8/7/1

No comments:

Post a Comment