Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 25 October 2014

Goals - 14/15 Summer Seasons

Tonight is the first game of the Vikings Div II Summer Season.  The Wheelers take the floor about 6pm.  For the first time we have six skaters and a goalie (young Jordyn), as well as two 'team managers' (Josh and Jye).  If we all turn up, the new game length (40 mins compared to the previous 30 mins) shouldn't be a problem.  The teams look a bit more even this season than last.

Tomorrow is Game 4 in Div II Ice Hockey, the Knights taking the ice at about 6pm.  Depending who is there will determine if I play my third game in D, or switch back onto the Wing.  I expect that at least one of the two missing D's from last week's roster will be there, so I expect to go back into offence.  Key issue will be how much my knee restricts me.  I've enjoyed my time in D.

Thus, after tonight, I'll be in thick of my summer sporting commitments.  Therefore, now seems a good time to clarify my goals for the coming seasons.

Manage the recovery from my present injury.  This is a challenge.  As the knee improves in function and the muscles repair there is a temptation to rush back into a full schedule of training to support the games that I play.  It is still too early to do this.  I probably shouldn't be playing yet either, but at the level I play at (ie. Div II) there is capacity and understanding for a player to play 'within themselves'.  Which makes it a discipline on me to not push myself over the limits.  Be that as it may, I'm doing it.

So, in an ideal world, this is how recovery works, aiming at being fully primed by the mid season break and thus be able to maximise the use of it to play out the last half of my seasons in style.

Coming week - re-engage with full off ice training programs, continuing to do the physio style exercises on relevant muscles around the injury site.  Stick-handling with golf ball.  In game - limit minutes and strains.

Week 2 - gentle, 'endurance' style inline skating (neighborhood and river).  'Light' ice training.  In game - limit strains.

Week 3 - static shooting circuits.  Social ice skating.  In game - increase efforts.

Week 4 - dynamic inline shooting circuits.  Full ice training.  In game - maximum efforts.

Into the Midseason - skill development and deployment.

Midseason - build strength and conditioning, work on specific skills.

Down the Stretch - aim at peaking near end of regular season, then shift focus to team into finals.

For the Ice - score goals and make assists.  Increase my minutes.  Don't unnecessarily ice the puck.  Don't pass in front of goal.  Don't get out of position.  Provide outlet options.  Keep my head up.  Don't panic.  Read the play.

For Inline -  play within my limits, increase my minutes, communicate, keep moving, play into their zone, stay on the score chart.

Generally - improve fitness, increase conditioning, maintain leg strength, build upper body and core strength, eat properly, get enough sleep, watch good games and learn from them, continue learning from online sources and live training, stay cool under pressure, maintain this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment