Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 19 October 2014

Busy Weekend

It was a busy weekend. 

On Saturday, I drove to Gawler and back to register for the upcoming summer inline season with the Wheelers.  I didn't stay long at the rink, just long enough to chat briefly to two new Wheelers (Craig, who once was a Wheeler but last season was a Rocker, and Crystal who was with the Bumpers for her rookie season over winter).  Alex isn't playing at all this summer, Matt the skater has been transferred to the Rockers (albeit he'll only start up after the xmas break) and we don't have a goalie with Matt the Goalie taking up full time skating in Div I (sounds like we'll be rotating Div II goalies).  I'll be #36 this coming season, third number in three yeas!  The Wheelers' season starts at 6:45pm on Saturday against the revamped Rockers.

Today (Sunday) I picked up Craig and we headed down the Ice Arena at opening time.  Were there for an hour.  I was mainly keen to see what I could do with my knee, this to determine if I'd play later in the evening with  the Knights against the Predators.  Except for a few stops I didn't drill myself at anything in particular, instead concentrating on just working out where my limits were.  The only points of concern remain an extended right leg when turning left, and difficulty with the power stride when accelerating.  I can counter the first by bending my knees, the second by extending out the ankle and pushing off from the toes.  As I should be doing these things anyway I decided that I could play in the evening and let my coach (Justine) know.

I think Craig is getting hooked on skating.  His hour was spent entirely on the ice.  I showed him a few of the basics (swizzles, snow plough stops, knee bends) and he seemed to cotton on and push himself fairly hard on them (but not too hard).  Good signs, he's a keen NHL follower for years and young and fit enough to make a good hockey player if he pursues it over the coming year.  Jess is pretty supportive, so he has a chance.

After returning home I gathered all my gear together, had a decent rice and curry meal, restrapped my knee much tighter than in past.  Before I knew it, time to get to the rink.

More on the game itself in the next post.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment