Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 1 June 2014

Sunday Skate - the strength of a sport lies in its youth

I completed my big skating/grandkid weekend by taking B and J down to the Ice Arena for our usual Sunday arvo skate, followed by an early dinner at Villi's bakery and return to the Arena for the Adrenaline's game against the Sydney Ice Dogs.  Left at 12, back a bit after 7.  Quite a day.


*

We had an hour and a half on the ice before we'd have to go and get something to eat.  This included about 10 min for a resurface, so not long as these things go.  The first people I recognised were fellow Vikings, down in the big smoke for a skate before the big game.  Had a good chance to speak to fellow Vikings Amanda and her daughter Laura a little about the balancing act of sport and life if you like the ice and live in the country and are still in the early teens.  I hope I helped with my comments.  Amanda plays for the Rockers and scored three goals in their win against the Shufflers last night, so was good to have a bit of a chat about Division 2 stuff for a while also.

Not long after, did a few circuits with my fellow Knight, Christian, who's keeping himself busy with Old Timers' hockey and running the junior 'Ice Blast' introductory program over the off season.  He commented to me that inline habits are visible in my ice skating technique (specifically, trying to heel to heel in the closing turn of a wraparound move (read Game Report from last night to find out why I was practicing this - the only 'drill' that I attempted this afternoon)).  We asked about the next Ice Blast 'season' [early August - three spots left - picked up contact details to get B enrolled].

The cool thing here was the way B has stepped up his presence on the ice since last week.  It was clear to me from the moment he started that this kid has found his rhythm, looked like someone who 'knows' rather than someone who is 'learning'.  When I mentioned B's interest to Christian, he turned to B (who just 'happened' to be skating alongside at this moment) and asked if he could skate backwards.  Whereupon B immediately did a transition to the rear to demonstrate his answer, before skating off.  Being a kid, he got into his own world pretty quick and sprinted to the wall before pulling off a very cool looking hockey stop.  We, being adults, of course were still watching him.  I could only agree with Christian that he'd be able to slip into pee wees next season, and that he appeared confident and comfortable on the ice.

Wound up doing a few final laps with my fellow young Saskatchewan fan of the Edmonton Oilers, talking Oilers gossip and opinions.  Cool indeed!  Not long after and me and the boys were off, to grab something to eat from Villis before returning for the afternoon game.

 It had been a very 'people oriented' afternoon, a change from the usual concentration on the technical act of skating per se.  All part of the course for hockey development (there's a whole series of potential posts I could write about this social aspect of sport/hockey once I start thinking about it).

The theme would continue upon our return from our tea for the big game.

No comments:

Post a Comment