Fridge

Fridge

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Fustration - old injury, new challenge

Way back when I was a teenager and my sports diet was basically aussie rules footy, soccer and all the crazy hijinks that country kids get up to, I incurred what has so far been my only injury that has a recurrence value.  It happened in a country league footy game and I could barely walk after the game.  From memory, I missed three days of school before seeing a doctor who diagnosed a torn muscle in my right groin.  It was about six weeks before I next put on my footy boots.

Every few years since then I've had to wind back on whatever physical pursuit has been the current interest (generally bike riding or mid distance walking, none competitive) due a tightness or 'tweak' of the old injury.  It has never inflamed itself to the point of when I was young, but I really don't want to repeat the experience.

Hockey is a sport where groin strains are one of the more common types of injury, almost always self inflicted.  I am generally quite aware of the slight disability I have in my right leg, making sure that even if I do no other warmup stretches I manage to stretch out my groin muscles (and calf muscles, due this being the only place except my middle toes (!) where cramp is a consistent threat).  Last night was no exception.

Never the less, when I came off the ice there was a tightness in the right groin.  And it didn't go away by the time I crawled into bed.  And this morning it was about the first thing of which I was aware once I opened my eyes.  Although it's probably as tender as it's ever been since the first time I tore it, I can manage to walk and climb the stairs around the house without any major discomfort.  I am quite aware of it, though.

It's lucky there's no Vikings training tonight and I had booked a non-skating activity in lieu (going to the Ice Arena to watch B's skating lesson, which got him all chuffed when I told him I'd be there as he hasn't had me watch any of his lessons due my own work and sport timetables).  My next skating appointment is Saturday evening at Gawler in a game v the Shufflers.  That's three more sleeps and four days away.  The challenge will be to rest this leg and see how it's going come Saturday.

I went and googled 'groin strain' this morning with A my youngest grandson.  It seems I have what would (barely) make it into the category of a minor strain, so there is a reasonable chance that if I didn't do much actual damage to the muscle I might be able to skate again by Saturday.  I'll be using the last of our Arnica cream on it a couple times a day, ice pack for 20 mins four times a day, no stretching or major exertions with it.  Sadly, will reduce the work I'd hoped to do around the house this week (I have a week's leave from work as my accrued holiday leave had crept over the allowable figure).  Might even take some low level anti-inflammatory medication in the evenings.

And then see how I'm going come Saturday morning.  And if I get through Saturday night, then see if I'm up to another Shinny on Sunday down South.

Fustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment