Fridge

Fridge

Monday 23 June 2014

Adrenaline lose to Mustangs

After our Sunday Skate session (see previous post) I took B back to his home and did the social thing briefly before hopping back into the car and returning to the rink for the Australian Ice Hockey League game between Adelaide Adrenaline and the Melbourne Mustangs.  I got there part way through the first period, using my new North Vikings I.H.C. membership card (issued the night before at our Wheelers game) to get a discount entry price.  How cool, to get in at cheaper rate without having to book ahead!

I had a seat in the temporary stands erected on the small ice rink, about four rows up.  Well rugged up and with a blanket, I was never the less getting pretty cold after a couple hours.  This despite having loaded up with coffee, dried fruit and a muesli bar after the afternoon's exertions.  Still, I did alright and was only mildly famished by the end of the day.

There were quite a few Mustangs fans (evidenced by the sweaters etc).  None were too near me, I was surrounded by a mixture of people of different 'types' (15-60, working class to posh and snobby, male and female) who all loved their hockey and turning up at the event.  The crowd got boisterous when the Adrenaline were about to score a goal, went stunningly quiet if we gave away a goal, respectfully applauded a very good exhibition of play that resulted in a brilliant individual effort at goal on the Mustang's part.  The Gawler section of the crowd (seated not far from me) were the most vocal in our area of the stands, especially so for 'Petey', who's the patron spirit of the Viking club in many ways.  I must make more of a point of sitting with them next time.  I did enjoy it when I brought the boys, afterall.

Overall, a sense of disappointment with the local team, who gave away two goals through bad passing, and two more through poor positioning allowing identical breakaways, but support for those players who showed a bit of oomph and who didn't give up.

As always when watching the Adrenaline, amazed at the raw speed and skill these guys display, and the absolutely continuous nature of the sport.  It is unrelenting in its competitiveness, right up to the final siren.  Final score was 6-3.

I got home cold and tired and hungry, but the experience well worth it.  Will go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment