Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 29 May 2014

Vikings Training

Last night I again managed to get out to Gawler for Vikings training.  The session started with pass and shoot practice with two groups in opposite corners of the rink and a goalie in each goal.  One at a time, players would pass a puck to a skater from the other group looping around at their end.  While that skater then carried the puck back towards their own end for a shot, the passer would set off up the rink and loop around the aftermath of the skater shot before accepting a pass from the next player in the opposing group. 

After a few repetitions we changed up by having two players depart at a time, with the puck carrier passing to their partner for the shot on goal.  My partner through this was Riley, a young fellow of great skating and good leadership abilities, aged about 12.  We communicated well and enjoyed the half dozen repetitions.

We then conducted a 'house drill', whereby the main group would remain in the corner, three players stationary on the half rink around the goal (two at point, one half way along the goal line between the goal and the opposite wall).  The skater would pass the puck to the point player in front of them, then skate up and around them.  At that point, the skater would take on a 'D' role.  Meanwhile, the three 'stationary' players would pass from point to point to the goal line player, then between each other for a shot on goal while the D tried to stop them.  Once there'd been a shot on goal, the skater became the first point, first point became second, second became deep forward and the deep forward went to join the group and await their next turn.

We ended with about twenty minutes of six on six short form games on the full rink, turning over teams in shifts.  This culminated in a crazy minute of all in free form competition before we ran out of time and packed up.

During the team battles at the end there was one 'game' where my team was attacking the goal tended by the Wheeler's regular goalie (Matt).  I spent much of the shift screening him at close quarters to give him a taste of it and me the experience.  When we battled for the puck at one point his stick handle found its way inside my helmet cage.  Perhaps lucky for me he let it go at that point.  Good reminder for me that even with a cage one is not invulnerable.

The other thing of note occurred when I we were doing the solo pass/shoot drill at the start.  I steamed in on the goalie and dropped the puck onto my backhand before whipping off an unexpected shot of moderate power.  The shot didn't go in but drew applause from the spectators.  I realised the same thing had happened at Ice Hockey Academy the night before (when the shot had gone in).  Both times, comment was made that I was doing some fancy puckwork.  I wasn't intending to, but it seems this is one of my 'natural trick shots' that I should work on as goalies certainly don't expect it and other players think it is good value.

Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment