Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 24 May 2014

Back to School. Again.

Being a beautiful autumnal day I finally got my opportunity to go out for a neighborhood skate this morning.  Couldn't do too much in terms of working out because I have a game this evening at Gawler so contented myself with grabbing stick and pucks and heading down the primary school, taking a punt that the construction works that made the netball court surface unusable when daylight saving ended were either completed or at least advanced to clean up stage.

Luckily, I was right in my assumption.  I had to adjust what I'd do to account for a few materials left near my traditional goal shooting site, and a fair bit of detrius on the surface.  However, the trench had been ashphalted over, I could sweep off the detrius, and I could adjust where on the court I skated and what I did to account for contractor's vehicles and materials on other parts of the surface.  All good.

So, I contented myself by setting up the neon puck as a target against some concrete and snapping the green pucks at it from 15'-20' until I needed a breather, and followed that up with a series of puck carrying slaloms through a simple course of puck pylons, completing each run through with a shot on goal at about 30'.  Ended up with a run of five sprints in to pick up puck from the centre, control and release at 20'.  The particular skills that I kept at forefront in the skating were my heel to heels both ways, and the move of deking one way but crossing over the other direction simultaneously.  This latter is still not probably drilled enough to use in a game comfortably but I am improving.  Total time on court, a bit less than an hour before the skate home.

Didn't push myself too hard as I didn't wish to either risk injury or tightness in muscles.  And it was thoroughly enjoyable and brought a smile to people that saw me on the street and at the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment