Fridge

Fridge

Wednesday 30 April 2014

Productive Night at the Ice Arena

This evening it was off to the Ice Arena to watch a bit of hockey on the big ice (Tigers v Blackhawks, A Grade) while I skated casually around the small rink.  On the way I also paid for a term at the Ice Hockey Academy on Tuesday nights.  I learned there that B's skate classes had commenced for this term earlier that evening, which is what I'd said to him (based on some random 8 year old I'd been talking with on Sunday) so I was glad I'd turned out to be right (thanks kid!). 

When I got home I learned further that B's mum has put a deposit on some skates for him, which made me even happier both for him and his family that they have seen their way through to doing this for their very keen son/brother.  A very productive Wednesday night, in other words!

I skated only a bit over an hour, only just raising a sweat on a handful of occasions.  Technically, nothing too challenging, more work on the backwards inside C cuts, open ice 3 turns, deepening the knee bends on ultra tight turns at reasonable speed, rehersals of accelerating leg movements while supporting myself against the boards. 

There weren't a great many skaters (meaning that there was sufficient room for everyone to be doing their thing even though it was 'only' the small ice).  The majority were in own skates, and most of these were out to get better at hockey skating.  I knew most by face and about half by name.  My hockey peers seemed pretty pleased that I'm paid up for the Academy this term, which is really nice I think!  The comradeship of the ice, further crystalised.


No comments:

Post a Comment