Fridge

Fridge

Thursday 20 March 2014

Vikings Training

Tonight, took me an hour and a half of continuous travel to get to training after leaving work.  That's keen!  My 'victim' from Saturday was changing into her gear when I was, we smiled about our collision on Saturday.  She said her knee was still sore, and that she had followed my advice and iced it after the game.  No bad karma.

Got on the rink within a couple minutes of the session starting.  Excellent! First drill was pure skating, designed around puck protection.  Basically, open up the hips (so one's skates are heel to heel, pointing in almost opposite directions) to do a tight turning circle, both ways.  Basic maneuver on the ice, but not apparently on inlines.  Always fun to do.  Then, the main drill of the evening, consisting of passing, defending, shooting.  One skater goes up each wing, one with puck passes off to the other as they curl in across the rink in the 'D'efensive zone.  They then work their way forward through a couple defensive players and shoot.  They then become the defense against the next pair of skaters going up the wings.  At our level, the defence was winning all the time when it was 2 on 2, so coach changed it to only one skater stays on the rink as 'D'.  I played better as D than as offence - mainly because I kept dropping the puck off the end of my stick when I came in towards the goals.  Embarrassing!  We finished with one long line, taking it in turns to have shoot-out shots at the one goalie we had out on the evening.  I think I had four shots, tried to make them all different (straight wrist shot, delayed wrist shot, deke from backhand to forehand wrist, backhand).  The delayed wristshot went through goalie's legs, backhand only just blocked away by him (and I got the rebound in against his attempt to stop in a bit of impromptu 'play'), straight wristshot was blocked by the body, and the deke from backhand to forehand missed the right post.

All good fun, raised quite a sweat, good to hang out with hockey players for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment