Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 29 March 2014

Rough Draft

Following my unsurprising non-selection in the Premier C Draft I had a little bit of soul searching to do.  Not so much about the non-selection (I was expecting that) as the hints and suggestions of 'development' being used as a cipher for a more sinister exculsion criteria (age).  Actually, if I'm honest, it's not so much the generic unfairness of such discrimination as how it would deny me an opportunity.  For if, as is likely, I don't get to where I'm aiming at, I'd like it to be due to combination of relative ability and the physical realities, rather than a predetermining pigeonhole being played.on me.

But, even if I get off my high horse, it needs to be recognised that if I'm to pursue my ambition it will mean a lot of time, money and pain.  I'd hate to use up my efforts chasing a chimera.  Of course, the logical non-moralistic utilitarian choice of 'what to do' would be to wait till all the ruffled feathers from the draft get unruffled again, and then privately ask the organiser (explaining my utilitarian reason why).  And I think, that's what I'll do.

But enough on such outwardly negative.things.

As I said during the immediate aftermath of the Draft, at least it clarified the direction of my activity over the coming year.  After considering this I, perhaps for the first time, put it all in the context of my skating 'career'.  In other words, I set a long term goal and a means by which I might get there.  It goes something like this:

Winter 14 - alternating Wednesdays with inline training and ice 'casual', weekly Saturday inline game, Sunday ice casual, interspersed Academy, shinny and Adrenaline games.  Emphasis on inline, goal to become a high grade inline C grader (won't get much training in over summer and still want to be useful).  Take up Jess on her offer of PT for a few months off ice work?
Summer 14/15 - C grade ice, c grade training, sunday social ice, play enough inline hockey to qualify for finals if team gets there, enough inline recreational skating to retain muscle memory.  Play on the second line, make the playoffs, perhaps win the cup.  Culminates in qualification for Premier C Grade.  If don't succeed in draft, join Old Timers League.
Winter 15 - Premier C Grade training and games, Sunday social ice, occasional Academy.  Inline contact (perhaps fortnightly training and games when the ice schedule allows).
Summer 15/16 - C grade ice, etc.  Concentrate on ice.  Aim to be selected for B Grade Try-outs.  Then, aim to be selected for B Grade.Then, win the cup on my birthday (dream big!).

It's a plan.  Might even stop smoking at some point.

Great works often start with a rough draft!

No comments:

Post a Comment