Fridge

Fridge

Sunday 16 March 2014

Game Day: Rockers defeat Wheelers 5-4

A tough final game of the regular season, prelude to the first Semi Final and probably the Grand Final.  Last time we met we won 3-1.  Coming into tonight's game we were sitting 1 and 2 on the table.  Positions remain unchanged at the end, with the Wheelers as minor premiers.

I was on rink about half the game, split into shorter shifts than in past.  Certainly was glad for that at the end of the game as I still had legs.  Although I scored no points I was on for 2 of ours and played a significant role in one of them ('shepherding' our carrier, peeling off and screening the goalie as the puck went by).  I put about three shots on goal.  I was on rink for one of their goals.

There were a lot of 'hits' in the game for a non-checking sport.  I think I ended up on the floor three times, taking out my opponent each time in the process (twice on the forecheck and once on the back).  I came perilously close to being called for hooking, and was slashed a number of times (including by their goalie).  One of my collisions was with a young lass (bigger than me) and we both went down moderately hard.  I was worried about her knee, but after the initial shock I think she was fine.  She promised me she'd ice it tonight if it was stiff when she got home.

The other major collision was near the end of the game against their star player.  He had been cutting us apart for the whole game to that point - relying on his superior ability to stop and turn, deke, and pick up the puck at speed from the boards.  I worked out a few strategies to counter him once I figured out that he outshone our best skater, put them into play on my last couple shifts.  The crunch moment came on the boards when I matched his pace on the inside of the curve as we raced to the puck against the board.  I was able to stop him getting it out by jamming my stick in, followed with my body to stop him flicking it inside.  He slammed into me and I had to let my stick go or risk him going over badly.  As it was, we both went down and he took longer to get up than me.  The next time we met he was a little less cavalier in his approach and that made all the difference.

We were a little unfortunate to lose, the puck at one point spinning on the goal line but refusing to cross it entirely for an eternity that lasted a couple seconds, a bad rebound off the back board catching our goalie's skate and rolling in, and a dodgy penalty awarded against us that could easily have gone the other way (they scored in the ensuing powerplay).

The prime value of this game was psychological and I think we came out slightly ahead, with a suitably small chip on our shoulder due the puck god's frowning upon us.  They certainly had more bruises than we did by the end.  Next week we meet again in the semifinal.  The big factor will be that they won't have their playmaker.  Which, combined with the psychological aspect, probably tips us ahead of them leading into the game.

And it gives me two weeks to work out some counter skating tactics when we likely bump into them again in the grand final.  I need to work on my stop/accelerate moves so I can match the playmaker.  Looking forward to it.

My season stats: 3-1-1 G3 A1 P4 +5

No comments:

Post a Comment