Fridge

Fridge

Saturday 22 March 2014

Game Day - 1st Prelim - Rockers d Wheelers (6-1)

Angels don't win hockey games

Earlier this evening the Wheelers got taught a lesson by the Rockers in the First Preliminary Final of the Summer League, to the tune of 6-1.  The consequence is that we have to play and win against the Shufflers next Saturday afternoon in the Semi Final if we are to make the Grand Final against the Rockers in the evening.  That's on top of whatever effect our biggest defeat on the season will have on us.

There was a little uncertainty about the line-up we were facing right up till puck drop.  We fielded a full team, the Rockers got Jai playing with them as a Reserve, helping make up for the absence this week of their gun skate'n'scorer, John Platten.  The Rockers got off to a flying start, with a goal in first few minutes, rapidly followed by another one.  By the time the third went in we realised we had our work cut out for us.  A bit late, this realisation, in retrospect.  Our Dylans combined to put one in for us, quickly answered by another slapshot from the point by Donna (her second).  We went into half time down 4-1.

1st Half Highlights
sideways image corrects itself after a few seconds

The second half was more of the same, though thanks to some nifty saves by our goalie they only (!) managed two more goals.  The Rockers played a strong team game, all members contributing to their emphatic win.

2nd Half Highlights

I played a total of almost exactly 15 min (half the game), divided neatly into two halves of four shifts each.  I had intended to use short shifts, and some of them indeed were short shifts (30s), but it works out to an average of about 2 minutes per shift.  I looked a much stronger skater than I did a month ago, and carried the puck for an appreciable distance a number of times (for the first time ever).  Despite my fumbles and spills, my greatest failing was positional, particularly defensive responsibility.  There's at least three times in the above videos where I see myelf pinching when I should be covering options.  One of these lapses results directly in a goal against.

As a team, we didn't play as one much, which didn't help.  No triangles of support, and them continually getting behind us and leaving our goalie exposed.  And, if we were being slashed (as several were complaining of) we weren't doing much about it.  For myself, I know that I heavily chopped another player's stick a few seconds after they had wrapped my legs with it off play.  From that point I didn't have any slashing going on around me (nor before, mind you).  Be that as it may, during the first half I  at one point blurted out to our team to 'stop whingeing'.  Pretty uncouth of me, I know, but there was at  least no high dudgeon to accompany it.  And, angels don't win hockey games!

We weren't co-ordinating very well, and some of us were either rattled or fatigued by the end - and it's that that bothers me most.  I think some of us were too long on the rink.   Others, letting the opposition get under our skin.  Important lessons for next week to be learned.

I got off only one full shot at goal.  Was on the rink for three of theirs and none of ours.  No points.  GP 6 G 3 A 1 Pt 4 +2

No comments:

Post a Comment